Ok to dry fire .38 revolver??

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by flyfshn, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yes. That's why the markings on the back end of a cartridge are called the "head stamp". RP 45 ACP, WCC64, LC73, etc. The front end, where the bullet goes, is the mouth. The back end, where the primer is, is the head.
  2. opr1945

opr1945 New Member

Thanks, I didn't know that.
  3. 1911 man

1911 man New Member

no problem dry firing modern revolvers have at it
  4. lucky-gunner

lucky-gunner New Member

It shouldn't be an issue for a modern revolver. I think the investment of money to purchase or time to make snap caps is worth it though.

I would prefer the peace of mind that using snap caps gives me. I've already collected a handful of them for every caliber I have so it's not an issue for me.
  5. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

So it is claimed by Ruger after the invention of their 'transfer plate' [since copied by many other mfg's] it is safe to dry-fire arms equipped with it. I understand the physics, and it makes sense. Although..........
    First rule is pure safety.....{other than to set trigger pull adjustment, etc.}
    Never get in the habit of dry firing any arms, therefore never accidentally pointing in the wrong direction with an unknown round chambered. Mindset will always be 'I pull the trigger and the gun fires'. Margin of error will be much safer.
    Second rule is pure physics.....
    Any and all firing pins are designed to hit against some semi-soft material,
    aka brass, etc. , not air. Steel and other materials used today in and around firing pins are tough and rugged, BUT will wear with abuse. {Got a snow shovel with a steel edge on the blade foremost ? What does it look like at the end of season?}
    Question was-is it OK to dry fire? Depends........
    OK if it ain't loaded, OK if ??????
    My advice is it isn't safe. Not safe on the materials affected, not safe as a practice.
    This question is very similar to another thread about cleaning semi-autos........many people clean after every shoot, others after 5000 rounds. None have any problems, some have problems, same question.....is it OK ? I have taught safety for many, many years. Is it OK to do something was asked many times, mostly my response would be
    "why would you want to?" Simply, in this case of dry firing, I say NO, it isn't OK because you compromise safety alone by forming a bad habit, and put yourself in a place that you ALWAYS have to know if the gun is loaded. {may I regress to the video of the DEA in the classroom that shot his own foot} Other than a maintenance situation, adopting a 'policy' of NOT dry firing really increases your safety margin and really decreases your accident margin. And no questions if it damages the gun. Respectful.
  6. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i dont think dry firing is dangerous. i think developing bad habits and then blaming them on having dry fired is just trying to excuse yourself of the blame of having a negligent discharge.

i think if done properly, dry firing encourages safety because when taught to dry fire properly you will learn to always check the gun before you pull the trigger, and never point it, even when unloaded, at something you're not willing to destroy. when i dry fire any gun i check to make sure its unloaded... if i set it down and pick it back up, i again check it. that is safety.

why would i want to dry fire? well for one its fun, for 2 it helps build skill when at home. does it hurt the gun, depends on the gun in my opinion.
  7. vytoland

vytoland New Member

if i dry fire any of my revolvers.............the snap caps go in first.