1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

OK to shoot?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dsv424, Oct 10, 2009.

1. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

I had to pull these and reload them. As you can see the collet on the Bullet Puller kinda bit into the bullet. The bullets are 230 grain Berry Plated and I'll only be using them for target shooting. Would there be any problem shooting them?[​IMG][/IMG]
  2. olehippy

olehippy New Member

The damage seems to be above where the bullet contacts the barrel, making this assumption they look like they might be safe to shoot. IF this is the only damage to the bullet, it might effect the ballistics as the trajectory travels downrange.

But. . ., considering the value of those two loads (how much you have invested there, 20 or maybe 30 cents, okay say a buck even!) verses the cost of repairing/replacing your weapon or your face and eyes if there are more hidden problems with those loads, is it worth it?

To me they look like perfect candidates for my bullet puller! Just one old fart’s thoughts, but one that has never had an incident with ammo I have handloaded.

Miles
  3. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Personally I wouldnt use them, the damage is above where riflings will contact but there is just too much too lose if something goes wrong cause you cant throw a bullet away.
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot them, if I threw away every bullet that didn't look right, I wouldn't have many to shoot.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

What are y'all expecting to happen?

If they were jacketed bullets, then, MAYBE, the jacket could come apart and the lead core and the bullet nose could go downrange, leaving the rest of the jacket in the barrel, making an obstruction for the next bullet, ending in KB. MAYBE.

But they are not jacketed. They are plated. Being afraid to shoot these would be like being afraid to shoot cast bullets that had a wrinkle in them. They might not shoot the most accurately, but I see no danger.
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I agree... shoot them up. Based on the pictures I'd say they are fine.

LDBennett
  7. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Send'em to me, I'll shoot'em !!;)
  8. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

The auto-rim indicates these might be fired in a semi-auto.
    If so, those groves could contact the feed ramp, and MIGHT cause some jams on feed -

But dangerous?
    Not in my estimation.

Plinkers, fine -
    Not much use for target work, though, as their trajectory is not going to be normal -
  9. olehippy

olehippy New Member

I’m sorry, but I have to politely but strongly disagree with Alpo, I find his reasoning totally off base.

I just never liked ‘maybe’, especially when gambling a few cents against my, my wife’s or one of my sons’ eyesight or their wonderful faces (well, granted, a gun exploding in my face might improve my ugly mug!).

“They might not shoot the most accurately, but. . .”. When I go ‘target’ shooting, its to improve my accuracy with the weapon I’m firing, not to hear the gun go boom and watch the dustbunny go poof when it hits the dirt. I presume that is what DVS and any serious shooter is striving for accuracy when target shooting – if we go shooting beer cans off fenceposts I expect to be able to rely or my handloads to hit them accurately!.Why on earth would one want to load a round that ‘might’ knowingly be inaccurate is beyond me.

I believe in zero errors, AKA safety. If a load just looks at me wrong it goes to the bullet puller.

Miles
  10. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I do see your point Miles and I see no loss in pulling and tossing either, even though I would shoot them. In reference to Alpos post, he was refering his "maybes" twoards Jacketed bullets only, not the ones in question. Maybe a litte misunderstanding there on where he was coming from.
    ;) I think was Alpo "didn't say" and was inferring was that IF they were jacketed, then you'd have to consider those maybes and probably better safe than sorry.
  11. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

The gun I'm shooting them with is a Springer Loaded. It is sensitive to chambering when there is not a smooth transition between the bullet and case mouth. But thats the only problem I have ever had reloading for this gun. I tend to agree since it is above the ogive it should chamber and shoot fine but I wanted to be sure if I wasn't missing something. Thx for all the advise.
  12. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I agree with Alpo, LD, etc. Go ahead & shoot em up. You might have a few feeding snags if those gouges hit the feed ramp just right but if they're all about like the two examples posted then I doubt it.
  13. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

His question was, "are these dangerous to use". Not "will they shoot inaccurately". The "maybes" were speaking of a jacketed bullet. MAYBE a jacketed bullet that looked like that might be dangerous to fire. MAYBE.

But they are not jacketed. They are plated. They are not going to come apart in the gun. They are not going to separate and leave the jacket in the barrel. There is, as far as I can see, absolutely NO DANGER in shooting these bullets.

Which, as I said, was the question he asked.
  14. 38 special

38 special New Member

I dont see any problem . at worst maybe they arent QUITE as accurate as could be
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I honestly dont think youd notice a difference in accuracy either. I have shot some pretty 'ugly' projectiles with good results accuracy wise. Id recommend getting a kinetic hammer for pulling bullets, you dont get as many boogered bullets with them as you do with a collet puller. Your loads will be ok to shoot, and I really doubt theyd have chambering issues even in your picky springfield unless the ridge caught the bbl/frame gap juuuuust right...