Ok, try this

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by swanshot, Oct 12, 2003.

1. swanshot

swanshot New Member

A standard SSAA (Australian Sporting Shooters Association) field rifle rimfire competition.
    All are shot with two targets on the board. targets are 12mm (1/2 inch) 10 ring, and 12mm rings out to 5.

1: Rapid fire at 25 metres, consists of two bursts of three rounds each on each target. ie, a total of six rounds on each target. Each three round burst to be fired in 15 seconds. Discount the lowest shot on each target to score.

2: Off hand at 25 metres, consists of five rounds on each target. Free standing, use of sling permitted. No time

3: Standing Post at 50metres, consists of five rounds on each target (same targets as above). Competiter must stand and may steady against a standing post. This means you can lean against, grip, etc, but you cannot do things like wrap your sling around it.

4: Sitting post at 50 metres. Same as standing post except that you sit, or kneel

I shot this yesterday for a total score of 291. Not a good score, but what the hell----I was havin a bad day. That's my story, and I'm stickin to it.
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Try blaming it on bad ammo....that's what I do. :D

Sounds like a fun day, but I don't know about that "sitting on a post"..... ;)
  3. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Very cool drill - is there a time on the "post" stages?

When I first read "post" I was reminded of a description of one of the Austrian Schuetzenfest ranges in europe. There was a post about 3.5 feet tall at each shooting station. Given that artificial support was not allowed in the competition, the author asked what the post was for. The guide explained that it was a resting place for the beer mugs of the competitors back in the olden days....Fine firearms, fine beer, Austrian alps, what a mix!!
  4. swanshot

swanshot New Member

5. swanshot

swanshot New Member

6. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

I like it - need to print out some targets to try it.

Here's a fun one to try down under - pick up a dozen eggs and then pick your range - 200yds here - see how many rounds it takes to break a dozen. There's a guy in SC who has a serious competition lined up around this. I just mess around.

Will your .308 hold MOE? (That would be minute of egg.) :)
  7. swanshot

swanshot New Member

Mines a 6.5x55, and yeah mate, It'll hold 1MOE. Gotta give this a go!!!! My wife is gonna be so pissed, we have chickens so i got a supply of eggs. Naaa, forget that I'll buy em and say nuthin. Save myself a world of grief.[​IMG]
  8. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Note - it doesn't count if you hit the rack and break about 8 with one shot!!

Do a web search for "eggshoot" it'll breakdown the "rules," though there ain't that many.

Anyway, its a fun biodegradable target. Kinda like Necco Wafers with a .22.

Here's one for short yardages. There is a group of guys who shoot "minisniping" - that would be 9mm casings at 50 feet with an air rifle - offhand!!! I can do OK with 12ga hulls, but haven't made it down to 9mm's yet. Fun in the backyard though.
  9. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I guess I will have to buy them eggs too. The Mrs. is the one that collects all the money when we sell some. She ALWAYS knows how many we have. LOL
  10. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Eggs are fun and cheap - I'll find a link to the "official egg shoot site" and post it later.
  11. Joe Haller

Joe Haller New Member

Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan & Mission, Texas
    Hey Swanshot:

How about posting a picture of that SSAA target, so we can give it a try.

Did you know that there is a group of Aussie shooters from the Melbourne area that shoot with us Yanks and a few Canadians in rimfire benchrest e-mail matches?

We have one match each month. The Aussies shoot with us every 2nd month. 13 of then shot in the August match. We have about 80- or 90 shooters each month. We go over 100 in the months the bunch from your State of Victoria turns in scores.

If you would be interested, contact the Team Captain:
    Furgus Bailey. Spotswood, Victoria.
    e-mail: fergus@accuracyrifle.com

Joe Haller - E-Mail Match Coordinator
    hallermac@aol.com
  12. swanshot

swanshot New Member

Re: Hey Swanshot:

We don't shoot benchrest at our club, but I'll pss on the info to a couple of guys I know who do. Don't have any targets just at the moment, but I'll get back to you in a couple of days.
  13. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Here's a link to some rules for an organized "egg shoot"

Needless to say, there are more ways to skin a cat beside stepping on its head and pulling its tail, so you can come up with your own twists on the theme. Anywho, its fun and neat to watch.

http://members.tripod.com/~Rbertalotto/egg/egg.html
  14. swanshot

swanshot New Member

Re: Hey Swanshot:

Sorry I took so long to get back. But here it is. This is my "sitting post" target, ie, 50mts sitting with one hand gripping a post and using that arm as a rest
    That target is actually round. Why my scanner gave it to me like this I just plain don'y know

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2003
  15. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Not to shabby mate!...;) I reckon that was open sights too?...:cool:
  16. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Swanshot, the target was not flat on the glass. I suspect the ruler kept it from being flat. Hope this helps.