Ok, two things...

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Mosin_Nagant_Fan, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Montgomery, AL
    One: FEG AP9 is on consignment
    Two: I put a down payment for a S&W mod.10

Once the next Alabama special session will come around and I'll be able to pay it off. I know they will have one because of the huckus from the last regular and special sessions.

2. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Jan 18, 2007
    Montgomery, AL
    Looks like there will not be a Special this month but my dad said he'd help with the final payment ($54) but if some of my eBay stuff sells it won't be a problem. Anyhow, when I finally get that gun I'll post pics.

3. Dakota Red 1

Dakota Red 1 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Kansas
    Yes, do. I am starting to get interested in them. One of the big dealers has some for not too bad a price. They are on the affordable end of the Smith & Wesson spectrum and I would like some classic revolvers. Have been drooling over the S&W Model 22 (new manufacture) on page 20 of the latest American Rifleman.

4. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Jan 18, 2007
    Montgomery, AL
    On the arm of gate for the cylinder of the revolver it says 10-5. Needless to say, my AP9 sold for $160 and only had to pay $114. Happy I am.

It is a little heavy, but I guess that's what makes it manly, lol. XD :p

If you are curious about the S/N, it's D924xxx

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  5. Dakota Red 1

Dakota Red 1 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Kansas
    Oh heck yeah! Maybe a little heavy but you got steel...you got 6 shots...and that size package is pretty handy to get out and wave around. I just changed my mind about paying $180 for something that isn't near that good. Be patient and maybe I will get lucky too.

6. Sweet! As I recall, the dash five designates a square butt, while the four means a round butt, which, IMHO is more desireable for CCW and esthetic looks, but that's just me.

The S&W model 10 Military and Police is a classic wheel gun. The only thing fancier is what is known as the K38 Master Piece, a more fancy version of the model 10 - good luck finding anyone willing to part with one of those! They sported a wider trigger and hammer, et cetera. And an action smoother than baby oil on a new born's bottom. Very sweet!

S&W and Colt revolvers in good shape are hard to come by today; the ones from 30 or more years ago can be wonderful collection opportunities.

Wish I had more money to expand my meager collection.

LL

Post scriptum: I bought a brand new dash five just like yours, only in blue, in 1967. I was amazed at the groups from a sitting position at the longest range in the basement of city hall. Short barrel? No problem; that gun can throw lead in a highly efficient manner. Have fun!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  7. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Jan 18, 2007
    Montgomery, AL
    A question, though. What do you use to clean any tarnishes and/or fingerprints.

8. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

Jun 24, 2008
    model 10's of all dashes -1 thru present -10 ? all were able to be had with either a round butt or a square butt i do believe

9. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Jan 18, 2007
    Montgomery, AL
    Yes, either or. I prefer a larger grip because of my hands. Personally, I wanted a model 36 or 37 but this model 10 will do just nicely.

I am curious of when this revolver might have been made.

10. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

Jun 24, 2008
    the model 10 as pictured is a sweet piece. i have the adjustable sight model 15 basicly the same gun. and i love it. good reliable shooter

11. jmohler

jmohler New Member

Apr 19, 2007
    If they're not etched in to the metal, just use gun oil. Wipe the gun down and try not to touch the metal any more than you have to. If the tarnish/fingerprints are etched in, you can either live with them, or start saving up to have it re-blued.

12. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Jan 18, 2007
    Montgomery, AL
    The ones that I'm really after are just smudges or just oil residue and they don't look like they are really permanent. The rest add character to this gun.

Also, I noticed that there is a pin near the top, so this is a pinned barrel model?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008