ok who here knows what a Haka is ??

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by jack404, Dec 7, 2011.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

educate the cops will ya's ??

no need for special training just show em on Youtube and save the $$ ( and educate folks at the same time)

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/police-cleared-for-pepperspraying-haka-20111208-1ok5s.html

SALT LAKE CITY: Police in the small Utah town of Roosevelt who used pepper spray and batons on spectators performing the haka at a high school American football game, have been cleared of wrongdoing.
    It was the first time the police had seen New Zealand's native Maori challenge performed and took action against the fans, including a dozen people from a single family, one aged 4.
    An investigation by the police of Roosevelt, 230 kilometres east of Salt Lake City, cleared their own officers of misconduct in the October incident and said their actions were appropriate because they feared a riot was imminent.
    Advertisement: Story continues below
    But the Utah branch of the American Civil Liberties Union said the police report was "anything but objective" in a letter sent this week to Duchesne County Attorney Stephen Foote.
    The ACLU was concerned that the decision to pepper spray during a cultural ritual may have violated the spectators' constitutional rights, wrote interim director Joseph Cohn.
    He also noted that the police failed to consider a video of the haka or statements from 15 witnesses who said they did not feel threatened by the performance.
    A haka, which usually lasts less than a minute, has been performed by New Zealand rugby teams as a pre-match challenge for more than 120 years around the world.
    The haka has spread to at least a dozen American football teams at US high schools, especially those with large numbers of Polynesians.
    On October 20, one Polynesian family drove 200 kilometres to Roosevelt to watch a relative play his final game for Union High School.
    Union lost to finish the season winless. To cheer up the team, a group of Polynesian men and boys performed a haka.
    Officer Luke Stradinger, who deployed pepper spray, apologised in the police report for causing "discomfort" to innocent bystanders, but said he wasn't familiar with the haka and was concerned because the group was blocking the only exit from the field for the teams.
    "I have never seen such an event, or even heard of such a thing," Stradinger said.
    Officer Wade Butterfield, who used a baton to disperse the group, said he became worried during the game because some of the people were yelling obscenities at the referees and acting in an unsportsmanlike manner.
    "I have seen a riot firsthand and know how dangerous they can be in an instant," Butterfield said.
    "No more force was used than was necessary to defuse the situation."
    Roosevelt police said officers will be given additional training in cultural diversity and customs.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/police-cleared-for-pepperspraying-haka-20111208-1ok5s.html#ixzz1fttci8jD
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Kikiki kakaka kauana!
    Kei waniwania taku tara
    Kei tarawahia, kei te rua i te kerokero!
    He pounga rahui te uira ka rarapa;
    Ketekete kau ana to peru kairiri
    Mau au e koro e – Hi! Ha!

Ka mate, ka mate! ka ora! ka ora!
    Ka mate! ka mate! ka ora! ka ora!
    Tēnei te tangata pūhuruhuru
    Nāna nei i tiki mai whakawhiti te rā
    Ā, upane! ka upane!
    Ā, upane, ka upane, whiti te ra!
    Ka wehi au ka matakana,
    Ko wai te tangata kia rere ure?
    Tirohanga ngā rua rerarera
    Ngā rua kuri kakanui i raro! Aha ha!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rDoV0EBu44&feature=related
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  3. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

i'm guessing that the haka at the football game wasn't as well organized as the one in the video :D
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  4. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

The Maori's are some fearsome looking dudes!

5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

thats just there way of saying welcome and reminding you there are rules and penalties for breaking them
  6. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

Culture clash. Those guys have a menacing appearance. I quess the cops should have had a little warning before hand. Cops are kinda jumpee these days anyway.
  7. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I thought a Haka was one of those little balls you try to bounce off you feet for a long time........LOL
  8. Country101

Country101 Active Member

The NZ Rugby team does a mean one. I've actually got that saved on my computer at the house. They get a little intense. I'd still say it seems they used unnecessary force, but I was not there. A few words would have done a lot better.
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    You would think an apology at least, was in order here!

The translation below isn't the same as the Haka Jack posted, but it works!
    http://crashtacklerugbygame.com/nat...ying-nations/104-samoan-national-rugby-anthem

Ka mate Ka mate (It is death It is death)

Ka ora Ka ora (It is life It is life)

Ka mate Ka mate (It is death It is death)

Ka ora Ka ora (It is life It is life)

Tenei Te Tangata Puhuruhuru (This is the hairy man )

Nana i tiki mai whakawhiti te ra (Who caused the sun to shine again for me )

Upane Upane (Up the ladder Up the ladder )

Upane Kaupane (Up to the top )

Whiti te ra (The sun shines!)
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

yeah truye eh , but i'm a traditionalist when it comes to the Aotearoans ( New Zealanders )

aotearoa means land of the long white cloud ( their own name for the joint )
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  11. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Never heard of it before. I like it, gets the spirit moving....
  12. al45lc

al45lc New Member

Cultural respect and understanding goes both ways, one doesn't perform rituals in some elses home or on their turf without first asking permission.
    Why is it that WE Americans must always be the ones who should 'understand"?
  13. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

It's a war chant/cry/dance, ain't it? "We're the biggest baddest mothers around, and we're gonna kick some ass"?

Why is anyone upset that people responded like it was a threat?

I watched the video. There you are. Two cops standing at the sidelines, watching the game. Hear a noise. Turn around and there are a dozen or so great big guys, crouched down, snarling, yelling something scary sounding in a foreign language.

Damn. Riot.

They're lucky all they got was pepper-sprayed.
  14. jack404

jack404 Former Guest