OK, you convinced me on the Maks

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

AntiqueDr
    (4/19/01 2:16:50 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All OK, you convinced me on the Maks
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From some of the postings here and elsewhere, I have decided to give the Makarovs a try. Buckled down and sent off an order to SOG for some Bulgarians. Figured I'd keep one (for the wife, of course) and sell the rest. Trouble is, I am not sure what they are retailing for. I know what pawnshops are trying to sell them for and I doubt I would ever get close to that money. I figure $139.95, does that sound right?

Purveyor of Fine Firearms to the Enlightened Few
    www.apaxenterprises.com

obelix2
    (4/19/01 4:20:03 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del makarovs
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Don't expect me to bid on them: they're postwar. But your price looks reasonable.

AntiqueDr
    (4/19/01 4:58:20 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: OK, you convinced me on the Maks
    Probably wont auction them. Good old retail.

www.apaxenterprises.com

Bob In St Louis
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (4/19/01 8:07:02 pm)
    Sounds like a good price to me. I've seen them on folk's tables at shows with $160 to $175 price tags.
    Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

polishshooter
    (4/21/01 9:42:52 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Makarovs
    Doc, I hope you got some of that Russian FMJ at $5.99 or the Barnaul JHP at $6.49 from them with the same order!

I suggest taking them both out and shooting them, you MAY just want to keep one for yourself! I'm seeing the EGs dry up now, and am trying to budget for another before they completely disappear.

My suggestion? Put at least $150 on it. When they all disappear from the jobbers, it will sell quickly. It's worth that at retail.

Or let someone try it first if you can, they are sweet!

Kdubya
    (4/21/01 10:57:29 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Makarovs
    I'm suprised you would let your name be posted just under Bob's, PS - especially the way he and I are beating up on you over on Matthew's board!
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!

AntiqueDr
    (4/22/01 9:19:23 am)
    Surprisingly enough, I seem to found a burgeoning local market.

Might just have to order another 10 or so...

www.apaxenterprises.com

AntiqueDr
    (4/26/01 5:16:03 pm)
    Got the Maks in, but have a question. These grips seem way bulkier than they need to be. What is a good choice for a slim aftermarket grip (if such exists)?

www.apaxenterprises.com

Bob In St Louis
    (4/26/01 7:23:36 pm)
    You might check with Federal Arms Corporation. I know they make a lot of replacement barrels, and they have replacement grips for the CZ52 Phone: 763-780-8780

Tac401
    Administrator
    (4/26/01 10:40:30 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: OK, you convinced me on the Maks
    Yeah Doc,

Pierce grip makes a nice rubber grip too!

Tac
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

polishshooter
    (4/27/01 8:26:37 pm)
    Check out www.Makarov.com for aftermarket grips and cool stuff.

Which one is Mathew's Board so I can defend my Polish Honor?

Edited by: polishshooter at: 4/27/01 9:27:33 pm

WyomingSwede
    (4/27/01 9:04:45 pm)
    Ya know Doc...since we converted you to Makarovism....you might get a fetish for Borscht and red cabbage....even uncontrollably burst into a polka now and again even...start ending your sentences with the word Da???

Dos,,,vadanya...(sp?)

regards swede
    Wyoming Swede

AntiqueDr
    (4/27/01 9:25:59 pm)
    I looked at Makarov.com and ALL the grips looked pretty chunky. Otherwise, seems to be a nice little pistol. Going to shoot one tomorrow. It's gonna be tough to raise an eyebrow on a diehard 1911 fan, though.

www.apaxenterprises.com

Bob In St Louis
    (4/28/01 9:32:10 am)
    Polishshooter - I believe the conversation was your use of cheap buddits on a Hun Garden Tiller in your back yard.

Matthews board: pub34.ezboard.com/bthefirearmsenthusiast

Kdubya
    (4/28/01 1:31:37 pm)
    Believe me, Doc -
    Try it - you'll like it! The EG Mak I have is the sweetest shooting handgun I've come across in a long time! BTW, I've got a set of Houge grips on mine - sure improved things.
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!

Bob In St Louis
    (4/28/01 3:36:30 pm)
    Just noted that Fedewral Arms Corporation still has some East German Maks for $139 - not many places have them any more. The East German Maks are C&R eligible, the Bulgarians, at $99 are a better deal for you guys with a Dealers FFL, but are not C&R eligible.

I have an East German Mak, and a Hungarian PA63 in 380ACP. Love both guns. I would like to get one of the Bulgarians someday.

polishshooter
    (5/1/01 10:18:21 pm)
    Hey Bob, went to Matthews board and couldn't find it, which post or forum is it in? Nice quick board, but lots of info and posts.

I kinda like the looks of those Pierce Rubber Grips, thinking of getting a set for my EG Mak. Anybody try those?

Bob In St Louis
    (5/2/01 8:24:59 pm)
    Hmm - I don't rightly remember what post it was buried in. Maybe Kdubya remembers. It was just some passing fun about you assasinating a Hun garden tiller in your back yard with cheap buddits.

polishshooter
    (5/2/01 9:46:01 pm)
    Actually I just got lucky with some New Years Eve suppressive fire. The good news I didn't tell you is it already had a hole in the other side of the block with the rod hanging out, so it wasn't a real loss.

polishshooter
    (5/12/01 9:28:06 pm)
    I was flipping through this month's "American Handgunner" while my wife was checking out in a grocery store today, and guess what handgun Ken Hackathorn named as the "Best Cheap Defensive Handgun Available Today?"

The Pistolet Makarov.

Preferable East German.

Called it a .380 on steroids, but the most reliable and most accurate auto under $150.

His only complaint was the sights, said good combat sights would make it a PREMIER weapon, but then no longer "cheap."

That's my only complaint too. There HAS to be a market for cheap aftermarket similar to "Wilson Combats" for the Mak.

I'm waiting for it, it's just a matter of time.

And WE were telling you the same thing for a long time, right Swede?

WyomingSwede
    (5/12/01 11:08:17 pm)
    You are ever so true...now if I can convert you over to mausers.......

regards swede
    Wyoming Swede

Kdubya
    (5/12/01 11:38:29 pm)
    Hey, Swede -
    Hang a polish ham on a '96 and Polish will follow you anywhere!
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!

polishshooter
    (5/13/01 12:48:40 am)
    ...only if you have some GOOD horseradish in the cleaning kit...

WyomingSwede
    (5/16/01 9:45:44 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re:horseradish
    I make my own...with the food processor outside...my wife will shoot to kill if I ever do it inside the house again. Same with grinding hot peppers....regards swede
    Wyoming Swede

polishshooter
    (5/18/01 9:46:27 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Back to the Maks, you KNOW I never go off topic!
    Just got in a box of Wolf 109gr FMJs for my Mak, hope to try them this weekend...

Anybody have any experience with them?

I've only used some Wolf 7.62x39 through my SKS, they went bang, accuracy was so so, good for making noise for the price, at least.

Are the other Wolf rounds any good?