OK, you crufflers, lend the old Doc a hand...

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

AntiqueDr
    (4/3/01 4:23:08 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All OK, you crufflers, lend the old Doc a hand...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nothing next to zilch about the recent milsurp stuff, I turn to the wizened sages of the boards. Customer wants a Mak for CCW purposes. Doesn't know anything about Maks, thinks he wants a Russian. From the feeble recesses of my brain I remember that the E German are supposed to be the best.

Looking through the ads, I can find Bulgarian all day long for real cheap. Found one outfit (FAC Wholesale out of MN) advertising E German at $139, no Russian in sight.

Can I get some suggestions on where to find E German and/or a supplier who wont try to slip me the bone?

Purveyor of Fine Firearms to the Enlightened Few
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Bob In St Louis
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (4/3/01 8:04:08 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: OK, you crufflers, lend the old Doc a hand...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yes - my experience with the Makarovs was that the East Germans were the best in final fit and finish, although the Bulgarians are not too far behind. The East Germans were plentiful several years ago, and I got mine from SOG at that time. I don't think there are many distributors left with stock, and if you can find one for $139, that is probably the best going.
    Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

obelix2
    (4/3/01 8:25:01 pm)
    I'm not recommending; I don't know them. But in their p. 7 display ad in the April 13 Gun List, Wholesale Guns & Ammo, Inc (tel 631 234 7676 or www.gunsnammo.com) is offering Bulgarians at $110, East Germans at $150, with extras.

AntiqueDr
    (4/3/01 8:26:59 pm)
    Been through the Gun List, nobody has any E German guns left. Customer doesnt have the budget for the E German anyway, it turns out.

Good old Bulgaria.

One other question: is the extra $10 for "hand-picked" worth it?

www.apaxenterprises.com

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (4/6/01 12:27:11 am)
    Are you sure SOG or AIM have no more EGs? I got mine on special a few months ago for I think 145, then AIM advertised them a week later for $125!

My EG was rated VG, it was like new except for one small "blemish" on the frontstrap (Like a little oil or grease left on when blueing) and very SLIGHT holster wear on edges. Shoots and functions GREAT. The $10 extra wouldn't have got me much better.

The Bulgarians are all SUPPOSED to be "new." They are NOT C&R, but a guy I talked into them on GB bought 2 for $99 each from SOG and was tickled to death, wished he bought more!

They are supposed to be just as good, just no "Stasi" stories. I say buy Bulgars, make up some mispronounceable name and write it on the back of the free $2 holster with a sharpie and say it's from the "Bulgarian Secret Police."

You could make a killing!

I've YET to have a malfunction with Russian surplus ball OR Barnaul HPs, I "stack" for the heck of it, they both print into the same 3" rapid at 10yds, 1 1/2" slow. Heck, my Mak is sitting here in this Motel Room right next to the Laptop as I speak...

Except for that abominable DA first, and that tiny front sight, it's SWEET to carry...it's VERY accurate, must be that fixed barrel.

One tip I learned from www.Makarov.com , put a split ring through the heel mag release and let it hang...makes the mag changes MUCH faster, just grab the ring...it works!

AntiqueDr
    (4/6/01 6:27:30 am)
    Thanks, all... I get more trade leverage with the Bul's anyway!

www.apaxenterprises.com