1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

OK, you SKS types

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by Zigzag2, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

AntiqueDr
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/1/01 11:48:18 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All

OK, you SKS types
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Round out my knowledge on Chinese SKS rifles. Where they are on the food chain... values...

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

LIKTOSHOOT
    (11/1/01 12:12:49 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: OK, you SKS types
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Depends on what it is, I will tell you this......all copies move FAST! Durn nice dependable little rifle for the bucks. What`cha got???
    America, we are the symbol of Freedom and Liberty......

AntiqueDr
    (11/1/01 12:15:11 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: OK, you SKS types
    Not sure. Potential trade on two Chinese. One has been semi-tricked out with fiberglass stock, bipod, etc. Finding out if they are milled or Norino or what.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Bob In St Louis
    (11/1/01 12:41:06 pm)
    The screwed in barrel type will bring a few more bucks than the pressed and pinned barrel. A pre-ban SKS (original configuration), screw in barrel, with blade bayonet is going $275 to $300, spike bayonet $260 to $280, press fit barrel $230 to $250. Now this is prices in these parts, and they are moving kind of slow at those prices. I hear they are going at higher dollar in other parts of the country.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Tac401
    Administrator
    (11/1/01 7:25:47 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Doc,

Bob's right, also if it's a '16'-inch bbl paratrooper
    w/threaded bbl you can pull in $50.00 to $100.00
    more on it.
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

TallTLynn
    (11/1/01 8:29:28 pm)
    I'm drooling Doc - especially the one that's been tricked out.

Dang you get all the fun.

OnyxSonoma
    (11/1/02 4:40:43 am)
    Ive got a Yugo with a threaded barrel, deadly accurate.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (11/1/02 5:58:07 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del

my pre ban Russian set me back $300 and looks like it has never been fired

welcome OnyxSonoma

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/1/02 8:20:56 am)
    All I can say about "pre-ban" SKS's is BEWARE. The term "pre-ban" is overused and abused when it comes to SKS's. I see a lot of Norincos being sold under the title of "pre-ban". This can be dangerous unless you have proof of pre-ban status. The BATF automatically assumes that your SKS is post-ban unless you can prove otherwise. For most SKS's, unless you have paperwork showing the import date or if the import date is stamped on the gun, you're out of luck.

Example: I was at a pawn shop one day and saw a Norinco SKS being sold with a 30-round detachable mag, ATI folding stock (with pistol grip), bipod, flash suppressor, and spike bayonet. I asked the guy how he could sell a gun like this that was obviously illegal. I wasn't being ugly to him; I was just asking. He told me it was a pre-ban SKS. I asked him where the proof was, and he said he didn't have any. This guy could go to prison just for having that gun on his rack. I walked away quickly.

As for the Russian, Romanian, Yugo, and Albanian SKS's, they are C&R SKS's, so they are allowed to be imported with goodies like the bayonet. And some of the SKS models (like the model D) are obviously pre-ban, since they were not imported after the ban. But if you see a Norinco for sale with a bayonet, you might want to ask if there is proof of pre-ban status. Otherwise, you might have to answer some questions from the BATF. Most likely they won't care. But the law is the law, and I would err on the safe side.

There is a little info on this page: www.simonov.net/uberban.htm . Also, for a detailed description of what you can and can't put on your SKS, look at www.simonov.net/uberlaw.htm
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/2/02 12:33:37 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

However, as to prices I think it depends on the area.

Chinese Norinco SKS's out here - I've bought 2 at $100 each, one at $175 (but that was because of the scope).

Then again I saw people paying $300 for them - and I thought that was way over priced.

chad
    (11/3/02 12:01:31 pm)
    I've got a Norinco that I bought years ago before all of the Pre-ban crap got started. Bought it at a pawn shop for $110. It came with folding stock, flash suppressor, 30rd clip, and bayonet. Never worried about it till now, no way to prove it is pre-ban. I bought a wood stock yesterday and I think I know where a old ten round clip is. Can I leave the flash suppressor or the detachable clip, and still be legal? After reading your post 1952 I completely filed stripped my SKS, got a feeling that my door was about to be kicked in.

Edited by: chad at: 11/3/02 12:02:37 pm

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (11/3/02 2:29:37 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Mine was built in 1953. That is preban enough for me

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/3/02 10:36:30 pm)
    Chad, it all boils down to the evil features rule. Here is the list of what the BATF considers evil features:

(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
    (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
    (iii) a bayonet mount
    (iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
    (v) a grenade launcher

You can have as many of these evil features as you want, as long as you are using a fixed magazine (one that requires removal of the trigger group to remove, like the stock 10-round mag). However, if you are using a detachable magazine like your 30-round mag, you are limited by law to only one evil feature. Once you have a detachable mag with 2 or more evil features, your SKS is officially a semiautomatic assault weapon and will land you jail time. Think of the detachable mag as a "switch". Without a detachable mag, you can have all the evil features you want. But once you turn on the switch by installing a detachable mag, you only get one evil feature from the list above.

Note that the 3rd evil feature listed is not a bayonet. It is a bayonet mount. The two bayonet lugs hanging off your SKS are considered an evil feature. So you are OK if you use a detachable mag with the wood stock, since your bayo lug is your one evil feature. A lot of people think that removing the bayonet removes an evil feature. Sorry, but the lug is the problem, not the actual blade (stupid, huh?). The actual blade of the bayonet falls under the pre-ban/post-ban issue and has nothing to do with evil features.

As for your flash suppressor, you need to look at the design. Is it really a flash suppressor? Do the slots go all the way around concentrically? Or is it missing a slot at the bottom? If you think you can convince a BATF officer that the thing was designed primarily to be a recoil brake and NOT a flash suppressor, then I think you're OK. The design should vent the gas more towards the top of the device. If it vents evenly around the circumference, then it's a flash suppressor.

I use a 30-round detachable mag on my Russian SKS with a Choate Dragunov stock. The pistol grip of the stock is my one evil feature. This rifle has been sporterized, and the bayonet lug was removed (along with the whole front sight assembly). That's how I can get away with the pistol grip.

It is important to note that the Yugoslavian M59/66 SKS is loaded with evil features. It has the bayonet mount, grenade launcher, and threaded barrel. A lot of people think that if you remove the grenade launcher, you are down to only one evil feature. Not so. You have to grind off the threads too.

Hope this information helps. If you have any more questions or need more info, let me know.

chad
    (11/4/02 10:46:08 pm)
    Thanks for the help 1952. Looks like I'll go with wood stock, and ten round fixed clip. Just got another scope mount for it. Might fix it up for deer hunting. Thanks for the help.

cal414
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/6/02 1:12:27 pm)
    Here is a model D, in obviously illegal configuration...but it sure does look cool don't it? There is a good shot of the model D mag catch down at the bottom.

m4ranger
    (12/12/02 5:01:14 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del re
    Nice lookin D, i have a paratrooper in the configuration, ur right they look sweet and oh soooo short but its never leaving the house unless all the old stuff goes back on, no FED jail time for my *ss.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/12/02 7:37:01 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: re
    "Here is a model D, in obviously illegal configuration...but it sure does look cool don't it? There is a good shot of the model D mag catch down at the bottom."

Please explain, how this is illegal.....as all Model D`s were preban to start with. You cannot make an assualt rifle, an assualt rifle. Once one-always one.

LTS

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/12/02 8:37:02 pm)
    The Model D never came with a folding stock. It was offered with a thumbhole stock or a Monte Carlo stock, but not a folding stock. Therefore, by installing a folding stock after the law was passed, it is illegal.

If you want to see a kick-ass SKS, check this one out: www.gunscanada.com/auctio...12_IMG.JPG . And the kicker is, it's in Canada where that type of thing is perfectly legal. It looks just like an AK, but if you look closely you'll see it's an SKS.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/12/02 8:52:01 pm)
    Very true, but the SKS Model D came in before the second....1994 ban. Therefore it would be a hard prove, that it was not done prior to 1994-as most were changed long before the 1994 ban. This is one of the easiest rifles to pass that test. "PROVE IT"

LTS

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/12/02 8:59:54 pm)
    Only problem with that, is that the BATF doesn't have to prove anything. YOU, the owner, are the one that has to prove that you owned that rifle it its present configuration, before the ban. It's not like a court of law where you are innocent until proven guilty. When it comes to firearms violations, you are guilty until you can prove yourself innocent.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/12/02 9:07:33 pm)
    WRONG, it is up to the State or Federal office to prove their case, not your`s.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    boeboe1
    (12/26/02 7:56:25 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del SKS Modifications
    There are more laws pertaining to the SKS than the 1994 ban. Laws regarding modification to any Chicom SKS would have applied from the 1989 ban.

Following are links that might be helpful in determining what modifications are legal on an SKS.

members.aol.com/vennarcd/...S_MOD.html

www.geocities.com/Yosemit...ardsks.htm

www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/u...t/law.html

denfoote
    (2/17/03 3:34:57 am)
    You ain't getin' mine!!!
    Glocks may come and Glocks may go, but Walther endures forever!!