1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Old 12 ga. Hammer Gun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Nortranman, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Nortranman

Nortranman New Member

Hi Guys;
    Have an interesting gun to find out about. Handed down from my grandfather and yet I have never heard of the brand name. It is a "Bay State" 12 guage single shot hammer gun. Serial #A760938, manufactured in Worcester, Mass. I believe it was new around 1910-1920. Have looked through some gun books but can't find it. The bluing is pretty well worn off and the stock is now cracked in the pistol grip which makes it unuseable. Mechanically it is sound as a dollar but hasn't been fired since the early 60's.
    Thinking about insuring it, but know virtually nothing about it.
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

The only "Bay State" shotgun maker that I have listed was considerably before the time period you mention.

"Bay State Arms Company - Shotgun maker in Uxbridge and Worcester, Massachusetts, c.1873-74."

But, what I think you have is the Model 7 or 9 Bay State which was a model of Harrington & Richardson shotgun made from 1908 until 1942.

This was a utility-grade shotgun, and doesn't have any collector interest. According to the Blue Book, it's value is:

98% - $95
    95% - $70
    90% - $60
    80% - $45
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

xracer has identified your shotgun correctly. it is H&Rs economy grade single barrel manufactured before 1943, most likely in the middle 1930s.

original bay state arms co. located in uxbridge, ma was taken over by hopkins & allen about the turn of the century (1900) and h&r purchased the rights to the name about 1917. H&R located in worcester, ma 1871 to about the late 1960s when they moved to gardner, ma.
    bill