Old 1903, value?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by PapaDon, Oct 15, 2010.

1. PapaDon

PapaDon New Member

Hello all, I am thinking about putting this Springfield 1903, serial # 155,XXX on the market for sale, what do you think this bad boy would sell for?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Sporterized military rifles like this one usually sell for around $200.
  3. PapaDon

PapaDon New Member

OK, so to give you fellows a little bit more info this has obviously been altered from it's original state. It has three tapped scope mount hole in the receiver. The bluing is a little spotty and the stock has a few scratches. It is obviously not the original stock and has been sportized a little. The stock is actually a pretty nice one. I have fired this gun quite a few times and it seems to be completely functional. If there are any questions, let me know.

~Papa Don
  4. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Like it is $200-250. People like them in original condition. I have a Remington 03A3 that is sprorterized that my grandfather used in competition. Same applies. and it is a 600 yard rifle. Peolple that went and made them ''flashy'' usually detracts from the value.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Sporterized a little?

Well, the sights have been removed, the stock replaced, the receiver drilled and tapped, the bolt handle turned down, and the whole gun polished and blued. Other than that, it is in absolutely original military condition.

Oh, and it is a low number to boot, meaning its safety is in doubt.

$200, maybe.

Jim
  6. PapaDon

PapaDon New Member

Thank you Fellows! So I will post it for like 225 and hope for 175-200. Thank you for the input and what a great forum this is. You guys are awesome.
  7. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I'd agree on the values given. No collector value now just a shooter.
    Maybe someone can help me remember the number cutoffs for the safer double heat treatments-below 800,000 for those made by Springfield Armory are the single tempered & I can't remember the other manufacturer, Rock Island? Theirs was a lower number. Everything above certain numbers had a safer double tempering.
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Jim