Old .22 Rifles

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by grampawmike, May 27, 2010.

1. crooks420

crooks420 New Member

I checked out the site, nothing for the model 34. I am actually working on using a model 40 striker in the model 34 bolt body, and making a free floating firing pin..... using off the shelf parts from McMaster Carr.
    The only other part I need is the extractor.
    I will post a report and pics when I get this custom Mossberg 34 bolt done.

Jesse
  2. FloridaFialaFan

FloridaFialaFan New Member

Here's another "boys' rifle" found in unusually like new condition. Majority of these ended their days sitting in a corner of a leaky old barn or corn crib, waiting to pop a rat, pigeon or other pest annoying the owner.

[​IMG]

This is the STEVENS "JUNIOR" NO. 11 rifle in .22rf. The first advertisement for it appeared in the Feb. 1924, Hunter, Trader, Trapper magazine for $4.50. Production ceased in 1932. Pretty nice old piece considering that it's AT LEAST 79 years old!

In Jim Perkins' 1976 book, American Boys' Rifles 1890-1945, the author says the Junior is, "actually a cheaply built version of the Little Scout No. 14 1/2." Coincidentally, I obtained this excellent Junior at almost the same time as the 14 1/2 I posted earlier on this thread.

Both very nice guns and I'm very happy to have them in the collection. :)

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

How come i can't see pictures
  4. JohnWS

JohnWS New Member

Here is a Martini BSA I am actively looking for sights for. There seems to be nothing else missing. I "recovered' this rifle from a family attic cleanup so the price was right. The wood has been abused but I believe it will cleanup nicely. The bore and crown is excellent and the action it is tight and functions well.

[​IMG]
  5. wingspar

wingspar Member

We will be getting a Winchester 1906 slide action and a Stevens Favorite via an inheritance in a couple of months, so I’ll add some photos of them when we get them.

This is probably my least photographed gun, so I snapped a couple of quick shots for this thread. It is a Stevens Model 56C. I don’t know if there is a way to find out the manufacture date, but I’m positive my father bought it brand new sometime in the mid 1940's. I shot thousands of rounds thru it as a kid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. brnmuenchow

brnmuenchow New Member

It took me a little while to figure out what my grandfather gave me (before internet) my first gun was and I still have a Winchester model 67. It is a simple single shot .22cal. rifle. It is still in good shape, and very accurate.
  7. whirley

whirley New Member

My first rifle was a Winchester model 57, 5 cartridge magazine, chambered for the .22 short cartdidge only. During WW2 .22 short ammunition was scarce, so I thought about rechambering to .22 long rifle. A letter from Winchester informed me that my rifle barrel was designed for accuracy for the .22 short with 1-20 ratio, compared to 1-16 required for the .22 long rifle. Rechambering to LR not recommended. The rifle came equipped with a Lyman 42 peep sight and is deadly on squirrels to about 50 yards. I bought another rifle to solve the ammunition problem. Lots of long rifle ammo available. Thirty cents a box.
  8. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    I have several old 22 rifles and just bought a Stevens Marksman No 12 Boys rifle at an auction. It needed 3 parts which are very hard to find parts. Numrich was sold out of all 3 parts. So I looked and looked for the parts to no avail TILL some one clued me in on Jack First Gun Parts. They are newly manufacturing a LOT of the old hard to find obsolete parts for MANY rifles. They actually had all 3 of the parts for my littel Stevens. So if you need a very hard to find obsolete part, give Jack First gun Parts a call. they put out a 3 volume reference catalog which cost a tad over $40 with shipping BUT if into old rifles, it is a must have. To give an idea as to how old a 22s I like, my oldest cartridge 22 is a Winchester 73 in 22 long rifle. I have an original BP muzzle loader 22 parlor gun as well.
  9. mcleod46

mcleod46 New Member

I have one them Hamilton and son it was my grand father who was born in 1900 its in great shap but when i got it it was all dirty and all i had to do was clean it up and it had spider webs in the barrel and I thought at first it was going to block up but it came out clean. now from what i read he went on the help out in ww1 to build tanks and also the Daisy bb gun, and the show it to Teddy Roosevelt and after he shot it he said , Now aint that a daisy, so thats how they got the name. dont know if that true or not but that's what i read, http://home.comcast.net/~jimringbauer/HamiltonRiflesindex.html
  10. j3hill

j3hill New Member

So many of you on here have stories of getting .22 at the age of 12 or younger. Or giving to your own kids at that age. What a dead tradition, thanks to liberalism. I wish the manufactures would bring back the advertising to the kids, I mean besides cricket. It was a great Christmas when a boy got his first .22. I loved the old ads! I remember seeing one with a .22 under a Christmas tree in an old TIME magazine.
    [​IMG]
  11. stitus

stitus New Member

Hi, we may have one of these without any wood. I wish I could send you a picture. Is there an email address I can send you a picture on?
    stitus
  12. crooks420

crooks420 New Member

Which post/rifle are you referring to?

Jesse
  13. j3hill

j3hill New Member

Crooks420 --Have you tried Wendell at outback gun parts...he has everything. Looking for something rare ? ...give him a call. 812-945-0480 I know he bought a bunch of equipment from Winchester, for tooling and what-not. He can manufacture just about anything if he does not have it. It may take him a bit to find the part you need because I think his shed is in a bit of a mess,
  14. steve666

steve666 New Member

[​IMG]
    Stevens Favorite

[​IMG]
    Winchester Model 74

[​IMG]
    Marlin Glenfield Model 60
  15. crooks420

crooks420 New Member

I will give Wendell a try.
    Right now, i am looking for an extractor for the Mossberg model 34. Other early Mossbergs (models 35 and down) will use the same extractor... if anyone can help.

Jesse
  16. viking03a

viking03a New Member

I have recently aquired a colt 22 lightning in pretty good condition, but in stripping it down, found that the cartridge stop arm is broken on the front end which stops the cartridge. I am a gun smith, and have a machine shop, and will make a new part, but need a photo of this part, as the broken peice is missing. Or will purchase a new part if I can find a source, but would rather repair the origional part.
    This colt is browned on outside, but find blued areas under parts where if it was refinished at one time, they never took apart to refinish. Is this old rifle suposed to be browned, or blued, as the bluing appears to be origional. I have seen a number of posts saying it was origionally browned, but my physical inspection does not see this on this rifle.
    Thanks
    viking
  17. FloridaFialaFan

NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

[​IMG]

Although I enjoy all of the "Little Boys' Rifles," I'm especially partial to the oddball types. This is one of my favorites, one of the "skeleton stocked" rifles. An early ad for it in the 1904 Sears catalog lists it at $3.60. A box of 50 LR ammo for it at that time was just 18 cents.

This QUACKENBUSH JUNIOR was first patented in 1890 but not put into production until 1899. Production ended in 1908 due to poor sales. I've not been able to learn of a total number made during that nine-year run.

Would make a good backpack rifle. Weighs only 4 lbs., barreled action comes off the stock quickly with one takedown bolt. Longest piece is only 20", and uses .22rf S-L-LR.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF
  18. FloridaFialaFan

Next in the "skeleton" stock style of old .22s is this FIREARMS INTERNATIONAL CORP. (FIC, NOT FIE) .22rf single-shot. This is their takedown model. Despite rumors to the contrary, these were manufactured in the USA and NOT in Italy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When rights to this design were sold to GARCIA (yes, the fishing tackle folks), they named the gun BRONCO. Nowdays, the several similar rifles and shotguns which look like this are incorrectly being called "BRONCO."

Next to fail at successfully marketing this design was BAUER FIREARMS CORP. of Fraser, Michigan who named their gun RABBIT. Unfortunately I've not found one of either of these latter two brands for my collection . . . yet!

[​IMG]

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

My favorite mixed metaphor: He's marching to a different kettle of fish.
  19. susanherna

susanherna New Member

I need a rear sight for aRemington 582. Any idea where to get one. Numrich is sol out.
  20. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

call Bobs and see what he's got avail :

http://www.gun-parts.com/remington22rifle/

Do you need just the sight or the base too?

BrandX may have the sight also, just gotta keep searching until someone posts one.

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/service/ - link to Rem Society someone on the list may have one or be able to direct you to it.
    Last edited: May 4, 2011