Old .22 Rifles

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by grampawmike, May 27, 2010.

1. viking03a

viking03a New Member

I have recently aquired a colt 22 lightning in pretty good condition, but in stripping it down, found that the cartridge stop arm is broken on the front end which stops the cartridge. I am a gun smith, and have a machine shop, and will make a new part, but need a photo of this part, as the broken peice is missing. Or will purchase a new part if I can find a source, but would rather repair the origional part.
    This colt is browned on outside, but find blued areas under parts where if it was refinished at one time, they never took apart to refinish. Is this old rifle suposed to be browned, or blued, as the bluing appears to be origional. I have seen a number of posts saying it was origionally browned, but my physical inspection does not see this on this rifle.
    Thanks
    viking
  2. FloridaFialaFan

FloridaFialaFan New Member

NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

[​IMG]

Although I enjoy all of the "Little Boys' Rifles," I'm especially partial to the oddball types. This is one of my favorites, one of the "skeleton stocked" rifles. An early ad for it in the 1904 Sears catalog lists it at $3.60. A box of 50 LR ammo for it at that time was just 18 cents.

This QUACKENBUSH JUNIOR was first patented in 1890 but not put into production until 1899. Production ended in 1908 due to poor sales. I've not been able to learn of a total number made during that nine-year run.

Would make a good backpack rifle. Weighs only 4 lbs., barreled action comes off the stock quickly with one takedown bolt. Longest piece is only 20", and uses .22rf S-L-LR.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF
  3. FloridaFialaFan

FloridaFialaFan New Member

Next in the "skeleton" stock style of old .22s is this FIREARMS INTERNATIONAL CORP. (FIC, NOT FIE) .22rf single-shot. This is their takedown model. Despite rumors to the contrary, these were manufactured in the USA and NOT in Italy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When rights to this design were sold to GARCIA (yes, the fishing tackle folks), they named the gun BRONCO. Nowdays, the several similar rifles and shotguns which look like this are incorrectly being called "BRONCO."

Next to fail at successfully marketing this design was BAUER FIREARMS CORP. of Fraser, Michigan who named their gun RABBIT. Unfortunately I've not found one of either of these latter two brands for my collection . . . yet!

[​IMG]

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

My favorite mixed metaphor: He's marching to a different kettle of fish.
  4. susanherna

susanherna New Member

I need a rear sight for aRemington 582. Any idea where to get one. Numrich is sol out.
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

call Bobs and see what he's got avail :

http://www.gun-parts.com/remington22rifle/

Do you need just the sight or the base too?

BrandX may have the sight also, just gotta keep searching until someone posts one.

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/service/ - link to Rem Society someone on the list may have one or be able to direct you to it.
    Last edited: May 4, 2011
  6. JerseyCooner

JerseyCooner New Member

While GOOGLEing 'Model 56C' I found this site. Saw wingspar's Stevens Model 56C. Here is my dad's. His future brother in law took him to SEARS when he turned 14 - 1937 - and bought him a single shot .22 rifle ($7.00). When they got home and opened the box they found the stock was cracked. When they returned it, the store didn't have any more so the salesman gave them the 56C. After Dad passed I cleaned up the rifle and added a scope. No mounts available but found the mount for a shotgun. The mounting holes lined up. Had to do a little bending but got it installed parallel to the barrel. I's sited in for 85 yards using Remington Yellow Jackets - good for groundhogs here in Jersey. The clip was a little worn so I sent away and got a NOS replacement.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum, JerseyCooner. That is a good looking rifle and a great story. I don't how I missed this thread when it first came around. I have an old Mossberg 42M-B that my Father gave me when I was about 10 years old. It has taken quite a few squirrels and rabbits over the last 50 years.

Attached Files:

8. Crusty

Crusty New Member

Since I'm new to this forum and could be considered in the "old" group thought I would put my two cents in. I also have a couple of .22's, on is a Remington 512 that just does not want to work, and the other is a Remington improved model 6. I have not shot the 6 yet but have it ready to go. I just like the older stuff. My main hunting rifle is a Lyman flintlock. Skeet gun is a Remington 17 in .20 g.
  9. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

I just picked up an absolutely flawless Remington Nylon 66 Apache Black at the Dallas gun show. This is literally 99% plus. Will get pics up when I get back from SHOT.
  10. flintlockmdj

flintlockmdj New Member

Mike, I have a Hamilton like the one you pictured at the first of this article. Where can I find a triggerguard as mine is broken behind the trigger bow and a templatem for the stock
  11. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Beautiful ! TLC was well worth it.
  12. marlin795

marlin795 New Member

Calvary Chapel Conference Center; Murrieta,CA

Have a 1907 little scout too. Mine was my inheritance from my grandfather before he passed.
  13. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

I'm lucky enough to have a Savage 23A sporter, .22LR, that is a tack driver. But magazines are scarce and expensive. I also have a Savage Mod. 1911, .22 short, that has a 20 round capacity tubular mag., that runs through the butt. Also a very accurate little rifle.
  14. flintlockmdj

flintlockmdj New Member

Hello to viking03a in Jasper Ga from flintlockmdj in Milledgeville Ga. I don't know how experienced you are with guns so if this sounds elementary please forgive me. The metal under the wood on the stock is pretty well protected from the elements so it tends not to gain the patina that the exposed parts would acquire over a period of time.
    Thus the two tone finish. I have a nice little Iver Johnson 28 gauge single shot that was made in the 60's that has a nice brown patina on the exposed metal and a nice blue under the forearm. I will admit that to the best of my memory I have never seen a Colt lightening up close and personal but I would be very surprised to find that one was factory browned. I build muzzle loading rifles and to do a proper brown job as I would expect from colt is a time and labor intensive job, much to intensive for a production gun, although I could be wrong. If you would like you can email me at flintlockmdj@yahoo.com.
  15. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

I have a Savage Arms, Model 1909, with a 5 round magazine. That thing is a blast to shoot. It was originaly my fathers gun. He has slash marks on the stock idicating the number of rabbits he shot with it.

Recently I have been having trouble with the magazine. When you slide it in, it will go into far, not allowing it to chamber a round. You have to play with it to get it set just right, and then it will chamber. I'm not sure what is wrong with it, it seems that something may just be worn out. Any ideas?