Old .22 Rifles

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by grampawmike, May 27, 2010.

1. wleoff

wleoff New Member

My Father gave me the Win 67A Boy's Model in 1955 on my eighth birthday and the Win Model 74 when I turned eleven. I still have them.
    [​IMG]
  2. wleoff

wleoff New Member

Here's my problem. I picked up this 1857 Whitney .22 rifle during an estate auction. I didn't have a chance to look at it ahead of time and from the back row, I thought that it was an old Remington. Well, it's in bad shape.
    [​IMG]
    The stock looks like someone used it for a club then glued it back together. It'll need a new stock, but there's not enough here for a good pattern.
    [​IMG]
    The chamber has been chipped and the barrel will have to be lined.
    [​IMG]
    Plus the action will have to be cleaned up.
    [​IMG]
    I'm not sure if there is enough left to have redone. It's beyond my skill level, but I'd still like to see it restored.
    Bill
  3. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

Just saw one like this on American Pickers, they said it was a bike gun. Like the one shown here:http://nramuseum.com/the-museum/the...uackenbush-model-1886-bicycle-pump-rifle.aspx
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  4. A square 10

A square 10 New Member

since this is a photo thread i want to add a few that ive picked up along the way , im not restoring the really long gone versions yet but your entries here have me leaning that way ,

i really like the early ones -

winchester windermusket [US marked trainer] and stevens 414

[​IMG]

a couple mosbergs im putting TLC to

[​IMG]

ive been picking up a few pumps

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and a few bolts / and a 22cal conversion M16

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and i do like the interesting later ones as well

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. Texxut

Texxut Member

This is an old (pre 1962 I believe) Stevens 87A, made by Savage arms. Due to it's unique action, some call it "The Click Clack Gun" Also "The Gill Gun".

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  6. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have the model 320 on the top. I bought it new in 1964 at a hardware store. It cost around $12.

Mossberg 320.jpg

Mossberg 320 parts list.jpg
  7. Throckmorton

Throckmorton New Member

I inherited this old Colt Lightning 2 years ago,from my brother. It was one of his favorites in his colletion.
    It has been re-blued,but is in overall nice condition none the less.
    Date indicates it was made in the 1897-1898 time frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  8. PMK

PMK Former Guest

All look fabulous. I only have and will only have one. My 1936 Model 41 Targetmaster. Even with my trifocals she will put 5 shots in 2 holes at 25 yds. You young people could probably do that at 75. I call her my .22 sniper rifle. Took off the original finish last year and rubbed her with 9 coats of linseed oil. She is a beauty. If things get dicey and I run out of .54 I am confident that no one wants to get within 100 yards of her!
  9. worley76

worley76 New Member

Would any of you .22 gurus know where I could find an original barrel for a stevens crackshot 26. Dont care how rough it is. Just picked up a nice crackshot but the barrel is from a stevens model 15 that was chopped off and fit to the little crackshot
  10. btown

btown New Member

My mom won a H+R .22 single shot octagon barrel , peep sights, for selling Cloverine Salve when she was young. We just about wore that thing out. My brother still as it.
  11. Rogeritall

Rogeritall New Member

I know this is a very old post, but it made me very happy to see another version of the Wards Western that I've got. It was passed down to me by my grandfather when he passed on. The old rifle has some pitting in the bore and is quite ruff around the edges, but is surprisingly accurate. The peep site isn't the best for Squirrel hunting, but it still holds it own for the most part.

Funny that the original poster said theirs has a cracked firing pin, I had to get the firing pin replaced on mine a couple of years after I got it. It may be a weak part in the gun. I never new it was made by Mossberg, that's a great thing to know as well. :)
  12. TerryJ

TerryJ New Member

I picked up a Western Auto Revelation 150 (Marlin model 49) had to rebuild the trigger assembly and replace the recoil spring, it in pretty good shape for the age, built in 69.
  13. don 3

don 3 New Member

[​IMG]

A old mod. 63 Winchester made in 1938.
  14. Ithaca-dbl12

Ithaca-dbl12 New Member

Love the old .22s! Had a Remington rolling block model 4 for a short while as it passed from my mother-in-law to my brother-in-law. It stopped at my house for a quick cleaning and check out. Dang, that was fun to shoot. Have a Winchester 67 that is simply amazing. Always looking for more old .22s to rebuild.
  15. GirlsWithGuns

GirlsWithGuns New Member

Wow! I have been looking for some information on these rifles. A customer traded one in and I have been trying to find out more details about it. Thanks for posting! :)
  16. DDDWho

DDDWho New Member

Here's my entry. Its a Remington 514 date coded March 1949, over 63 years old, pre serial numbers. I received it for Christmas that same year. Two years ago I had it professionally bead blasted and reblued/blacked and I refinished the stock with TruOil. The barrel and rifling are perfect and its spot on accurate at 50 yards if I can focus on the sights. Although an inexpensive rifle at the time due to the materials used in it it would be cost prohibitive to duplicate today.

[​IMG]
  17. ozo

ozo Active Member

Welcome GWG.....

Attached Files:

18. danc

danc New Member

Have A Iver Johnson's Model X. Need Complete bolt. Anyone have any leads. Thanks. Danc
  19. stlkad

stlkad New Member

I got my first rifle, a bolt action Remington Target Master, single-shot; when I was 8. I look forward to my grandsons fighting over it someday. Thanks for the memories folks.
  20. HighlandLofts

HighlandLofts Member

There is a Crack Shot barrel listed on E-Bay for $45, There are other Crack Shot itemsas well. I need a front sight blade for one of the ones I have.
    I have two Stevens Crackshots, an old Sevens Favorite 22lr octigon barrel an old Springfield bolt action and a bunck of other stuff rom the 40s threw the sixties.