Old .22 Rifles

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by grampawmike, May 27, 2010.

1. fordtrucksforever

fordtrucksforever Member

I walked by that rifle several times, refusing to pick it up. It isnt the type of 22 I am partial to, but one model I dont have yet.
  2. fordtrucksforever

fordtrucksforever Member

I am glad to hear the Savage 23A is an accurate rifle as I have heard before. Found a nice one at the Dallas show. Also picked up a Savage 19 Target in less than pristine condition. Basically a gunsmith special. I really think thats being polite. My plans are modify the trigger guard so the newer style curved magazine will work that fits the model of 1933 version of this rifle. I have an original for the 23A, and hope the Triple K replacements are good enough to use, so I can have some extras. The original sits 0.035" lower than will feed consistently. Looks like I can add some metal to slot in the rear mag retainer. If this works, I will be headed out to drive in some tacks...
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  3. doubs43

doubs43 New Member

This is my Remington Model 33 made in 1932. I refinished the stock. Except for the globe front sight which I've since replaced with the correct blade sight, it's identical to the first .22 rifle I was allowed to shoot unsupervised. The target was shot with it at 50 yards.

[​IMG]
  4. Rob wilts

Rob wilts New Member

I have a Hamilton rifle just like the one you have! I have been trying to restore it and get it in working condition again. When I retreived it from my grandfathers basement the barrel was leaded in so a cleaning rod wouldn't go through it. I have everything cleaned and restored but it still will not fire. The firing pin strikes the rim of the shell but the shells don't fire. Any suggestions on what my problem might be? As you know the firing pin strikes the shell with the extractor as the anchor and it is solid and doesn't move. I am at a loss to why it won't fire?
  5. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Active Member

:dontknow: have a soft spot in my heart (or head ;) )for old 22 rifles, maybe cause thats what i started out with,,as did many others.
    i have aquired a few over the years,, most have been just deals i couldnt pass up,,,or even given to me cause they didnt work (usually just a good cleaning) then they turned into something i just couldnt part with :confused: . however it made it convenient to always have something around to fit a new shooter. also for great fun with the grandkids, everyone had a gun, no stopping to let one cool down when u have 4 or 5 waiting their turn.
  6. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Active Member

could u post a pic of the strike on a cartridge ?? does the fireing pin leave a heavey mark or very light mark,,,is the fireing pin too short (with age some times they get worn or "someone has fixed it by sharpening it" and it doesnt hit properly.
    not familiar with how this rifle works, looks like the hammer strikes a pin ?? TOO much oil could slow the pin so that it doesnt have enough energy to fire the cartridge. attached are pics of strikes,, top cartridge didnt fire,, bottom didnt fire on first strike,,, after adjusting the shank of the pin (was very worn, a bit of file work to lengthen the travel) the second striike fired. before the adjustment it would only fire 2 out of 10,,after adjustment it fired with out fail ( 2 boxes stated by the owner )

Attached Files:

7. tebrady102

tebrady102 New Member

Hello granpawmike.Iam new to the fourm i am an old beat up fart looking to find a magazine for a 22 short batavia or febiger.I want to leave this gun to my son complete hopefully before i meet my maker.any help you wise gents could give would be greatly appreciated.have been looking to buy one for a while will pay top dollar.Thank you T E Brady
  8. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

My oldest 22 rifle is a Savage/Stevens 87B. It needs a new stock tho.

[​IMG]
  9. Albtraum

Albtraum Well-Known Member

wow i really like those old bolt action remington and winchesters
  10. snipin101

snipin101 New Member

It is hard to beet old .22 rifles
    [​IMG]
  11. wleoff

wleoff New Member

My Father gave me the Win 67A Boy's Model in 1955 on my eighth birthday and the Win Model 74 when I turned eleven. I still have them.
    [​IMG]
  12. wleoff

wleoff New Member

Here's my problem. I picked up this 1857 Whitney .22 rifle during an estate auction. I didn't have a chance to look at it ahead of time and from the back row, I thought that it was an old Remington. Well, it's in bad shape.
    [​IMG]
    The stock looks like someone used it for a club then glued it back together. It'll need a new stock, but there's not enough here for a good pattern.
    [​IMG]
    The chamber has been chipped and the barrel will have to be lined.
    [​IMG]
    Plus the action will have to be cleaned up.
    [​IMG]
    I'm not sure if there is enough left to have redone. It's beyond my skill level, but I'd still like to see it restored.
    Bill
  13. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

Just saw one like this on American Pickers, they said it was a bike gun. Like the one shown here:http://nramuseum.com/the-museum/the...uackenbush-model-1886-bicycle-pump-rifle.aspx
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  14. A square 10

A square 10 New Member

since this is a photo thread i want to add a few that ive picked up along the way , im not restoring the really long gone versions yet but your entries here have me leaning that way ,

i really like the early ones -

winchester windermusket [US marked trainer] and stevens 414

[​IMG]

a couple mosbergs im putting TLC to

[​IMG]

ive been picking up a few pumps

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and a few bolts / and a 22cal conversion M16

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and i do like the interesting later ones as well

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. Texxut

Texxut Member

This is an old (pre 1962 I believe) Stevens 87A, made by Savage arms. Due to it's unique action, some call it "The Click Clack Gun" Also "The Gill Gun".

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012