Old 36cal navy, need any info

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Fordman08, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Fordman08

Fordman08 New Member

This pistol has no stamps or markings that I can find other than the serial number stamped on the bottom. If anyone can post any info on what it is or might be, that would be great.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  2. Fordman08

Fordman08 New Member

anyone???????????
  3. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Looks like a Manhattan except for brass frame. Maybe a foreign copy or a replica that has been "aged"?
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The brass frame and type engraving tells me it is a replical. It is not a Colt nor any type of license Colt ( such as the Belgiums ). There are markings on it, you just haven't found them:)
  5. zb338

zb338 New Member

About 25 years ago or more an Italian company (maybe more than one)
    was putting these out. They were going for $30 a pop with maybe another
    $10 for the engraved ones. They were poorly made, but shootable with
    black powder. Have fun with it. It ain't gonna make you rich.

Zeke
  6. Fordman08

Fordman08 New Member

Took it to a guy today that collects old colts, he said it was not a colt but was definitly a gun over 100 years old. He did show me where there is something stamped on it...possibly the word LONDON, i'll post any more info I find on it.
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I think your Colt guy is blowing smoke. The nipples don't show signs of age. The bolt-notches in the cylinder don't show signs of age. The screws don't show signs of age. The only guns, back then, that were made with a brass frame were Confederate copies of Colts. That was a war-time expedient. They did not have the iron for iron frames. Brass was quicker and cheaper. Same reason many of the Italian copies are brass. Cheaper and easier to make. The grips have not shrunk. Look at some real 170-year-old 1851 Colts (which is what that is a copy of). The wood has dried out and shrunk away from the metal grip frame.

You've got an Italian copy.
  8. Fordman08

Fordman08 New Member

9. Danny

Danny Member

Alpo,
    No disrespect intended, but the first 1851 Navy's had the brass frames. That is why when U buy a replica of this famous Colt, it has a brass frame. Not as a cost cutter as you mentioned.
    Regards
    Danny
  10. Fordman08

Fordman08 New Member

Danny,
    He meant that the originals were made with brass due to the fact it was cheaper and available for the south during the Civil War. He's right.

About it being a modern replica, he's wrong.
  11. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

But, it's still not a colt and it is not a hundred years old. Danny, I believe the trigger guard and grip was brass on the Colts not the frame as on this one. The Confederate gun had a round barrel.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  12. Fordman08

Fordman08 New Member

True, its definitly not a Colt, and true its not 100 years old, its more like 150 years old. An antique gun collector and a county historian/museum manager looked it over today and they confirmed it was a Civil War period weapon.
  13. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

OK, one last post and I'm out of here. With no readable markings how did they determine the age, and if they were experts in firearms why weren't they able to ID the maker. I could be wrong , but I stand by my original post, A replica made in Spain or Italy.
  14. Fordman08

Fordman08 New Member

They found two letters on the barrel, there are more but cant be made out...yet. They had in completely taken apart. I asked if it could be a modern replica or something "aged" and they looked at me funny and said "no". They said it was a very old pistol, made in the civil war era.

Im not trying to get you upset but these men have known expierence with old weapons and relics and they had it in their hands telling me it was authentic. I could care less, one way or the other. I just like knowing what I have. If it were a modern replica...cool, it looks neat, if its authentic, cool...it looks neat.

Thanks to everyone for their input, I truely apprieciate all your time and efforts.

I really like this site!!