The Firearms Forum banner

Old 6 shot revolver

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  montenegrin 
#1 ·
OK guys,
Im new on this board and have a question. Someone gave my dad this old revolver and I have absolutely no idea what it is. I have some pics so any info would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance,
Dennis

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Best I can do is it's Austrian

Sederl mfg'd the Army gun Model 1870/74 (Gasser system),
But that is not yours

It is not in any of my books Pistols of the World etc

#3 ·
Welcome to TFF, springer9mm.

Can you read and relay and stampings such as names, dates, or numbers on the pistol? That helps to find a starting point.

#12 ·
Ursus,
Thanks for the great website, and to all others that answered! This revolver looks most like the M1876 Officers revolver, with the smooth cylinder, and the hexagonal barrel. Next Im going to try to find out what something like this is worth.
Welcome aboard, springfield. That's an interesting pistol you have here. I don't think it's much like the M1876 Officers revolver, though, or for that matter anything else on the above website. However, the Montenegrin influence is obvious. I think it was probably made in one of the small gun shops in Austria in the 1880s. If it had at least proofmarks it would be a lot easier to tie down where it came from for sure. All of the Belgian guns I have seen, even from the small shops, had proofmarks, if nothing else.
The following, regarding Sederl's patent, is from A.W.F. Taylerson:

"SEDERL, T. Secured provisional protection under Br. Pat. 87/1880 (through H.J. HADDAN) for a 'Revolver with a device for automatically throwing out empty cartridge shells'.
The idea broadly anticipated the relevant part of W. FLETCHER & H.A. SILVER'S Br. Pat. 16078/1884 (q.v.) in that the falling pistol hammer struck a lever to eject rearwards the cartridge in the 'one o'clock' chamber of a revolver at each discharge. The lever could be adjusted to spare a presumably loaded cartridge at the first shot.
Sederl communicated his patent from Vienna, Austria, and the idea received some attention on the Continent. The noted Swiss firearms designer Rudolph Schmidt actually embodied such an ejector ('du systeme Krauser') in one version of the M1882 (Officers) 7.5 mm revolver which bore his name. This was rejected for service use and the writer believes that no such mechanism robust and simple enough for the field was ever evolved."

This is the only patent shown by Taylerson for Sederl. Does your revolver have any kind of mechanism that might function as described above?
Also, have you looked at the back of the cylinder, or under the grips for any proofmarks or other markings that might shed some light on this revolver?

Best regards, BIGBOOMER

#13 ·
We have'nt taken the grips off, and I dont recall looking at the back of the cylinder for any markings. Ill tell my dad to take a closer look. I think he will be afraid to take the grip off for fear of breaking something. As for the ejecting mechanism, on the right side there is a cover that flips down, and then you manually push the rod backward to expel the spent cartridge. Thanks again for all the help on this revolver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.