Old Bayonet Identification

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by pequaket, Oct 25, 2010.

1. pequaket

pequaket New Member

I'm a newbie here and hoping that someone out there can point the way toward identifying some old bayonets . One is a socket type , total length is 27.5 inches , blade length 22.5 inches.The blade is flat and edged on one side , like a sword. One side of the tang is stamped with a small number 8, and what looks like a crown. On the other side of the tang is a very small stamped mark which looks like a star. This is a very old bayonet , possibly Rev. War era ? I really don't know. Anyone have any ideas ?
  2. stede

stede Member

peq, the most common bayonet found in the US that matches your description is the Austrian M1849 for the Jaeger rifle. The ones in my collection have blades between 23 1/4 - 23 1/2 inches but re-tipping can shorten that slightly.
    It's impossible to identify a socket bayonet without pictures, though! The Brits made several models similar to your description, and I have one with the blade in the horizontal plane as well as some with the blade oriented vertically to the socket.
    Can you post some pics?
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  3. beerman

beerman New Member

I have one similar. I looked mine up and it was from a Japanese subcontractor. It has a diamond shape with three blocks in the middle and the Nagoya Arsenal Symbol on it as well. Mine is called the Toyoda Automatic Looms. Does anyone know anything about this?:confused:
  4. stede

stede Member

Beerman. your bayonet is for the Japanese Arisaka rifle. it was made by Toyoda (civilian firm) and inspected by Nagoya (a government arsenal); the combination is a fairly common one as millions of these bayonets were made from 1897 to 1945 by many different manufacturers. Yours is most likely WWII era, with those particular proofs.
    But it certainly isn't a socket bayonet like peq's!
  5. beerman

beerman New Member

Stede,

Thanks for the info. Good to know. Do you know what it might be worth?
  6. stede

stede Member

BM, these bayonets are commonly available and are really only worth much if: in excellent condition with scabbard.
    Even then you're looking at $80-100 or so.
    Japanese bayonets are very collectable, but there are so many around the prices are depressed...