Old Black Powder Gun of Unknown Origin

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CtJohnson, Oct 30, 2012.

1. CtJohnson

CtJohnson New Member

Does anyone out there have any ideas as what this gun is, where it is from, how old it is and how much it is worth?

There are know visible markings anywhere to identify it. Although it does have vary intricate stamping/engraving in the brass bands that hold it together that may be helpful to someone who is knowledgeable. I have more pictures if need be.

Thanks,
    CtJ

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      347.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      504.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      498.9 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      164.1 KB
      Views:
  2. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

My guess is it's an Afghan jezail. If you Google JEZAIL you'll find illustrations and a brief history of these arms.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

As posted by nmckenzie, it is a mid eastern Jezail. Some of these are works of art and can bring a few dollars. Yours is a hard used working gun and with the broken stock would be in the lower values, perhaps 100 to 150 for someone to hang on the wall and lie about it at parties.:)
  4. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

CtJohnson: If you hop on this forum's Search and tap in Jezail you'll find some additional photos and comments. I've got one of these things - had it for decades. I'd post some pictures but the lady of the house (resident computer wizard) is down in Dallas at the moment for a seminar. My jezail's a flintlock, nearly five feet long, has thirteen fairly intricate brass stock bands, and many, many random shaped inlays of what looks like mother of pearl. It's rusty, but still functions mechanically. Barrel looks like some tribal gunmaker's take on a Brown Bess's. Dismounted the barrel just for the heck of it years ago, and observed evidence of at least one blowout with subsequent heating and bashing a patch into place. Getting it to Alaska when I moved from New York was interesting. Luckily a friend is in the auto parts business, so the jezail got mailed in a box previously occupied by a Jeep bumper. Would I ever attempt to fire my jezail? Not on your life.