Old Bridge Gun Company Shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Ramrod, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Ramrod

Ramrod New Member

Does anyone have any information on the Bridge Gun Company? I am told that it was a trade name for Shapleigh Hardware, St Louis, Mo and maybe manufactured by J Stevens Company and several other.
    I have a old single shot ,12 ga shotgun with The Bridge Gun Company stamped on the left side of the receiver, serial # A766177 stamped on the lower tang and #766177 stamped on the left side of the barrel lug.

Any information will be greatly appreciated. :p
  2. Dan70

Dan70 Member

I also have a Bridge Gun Co. shotgun. Mine is a single shot 20 ga. A couple years ago I asked about mine and was told it was manufactured by Crescent Firearms. I'm sure someone who knows more about these guns will be along shortly.
  3. crims40

crims40 New Member

Me too.......Mine is a single shot .410. It was my first shotgun bought for me in 1948 by my dad. Still have it and it is a model "Green Bug". The stock and forearm was originally green, although little of that is left. I've passed it on to my son, who passed it on to his daughter. I remember the S/N started with an "A".......:) :) Ahhh, the memories of an 8 yr old........

crims40
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

"Bridge Gun Co." is on my list of over 150 trade names used by Crescent, although it doesn't say it was made for Shapleigh. Crescent did make quite a number of shotguns for Shapleigh Hdw. (Berkshire No. 3000, Central Arms Co., Diamond Arms Co., Enders Oakleaf, Enders Royal Service, Enders Special Service, Hartford Arms Co., K K, Keen Kufter, Mississippi Arms Co. St. Louis, Mississippi Valley Arms Co., Royal Service, Special Service....and probably others).

Both Crescent and Stevens made large numbers of "Hardware Store" shotguns under various "House" and "Tradenames", a lot of Hardware Store chains, gun wholesalers, and Catalog companies had the same "tradenames" made by different manufacturers. Also a lot of them were imported from Belgium.

Check the watertables of your shotguns....if it has proofmarks, it was imported. If not, it was American made.
  5. crims40

crims40 New Member

Xracer........On my old .410, there are no proofmarks. So, I guess it's American made. :) The only other markings besides Green Bug and Bridge Gun Company is "11mm choke". Thanks for the information.

crims40
  6. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Well guys.....if your "Bridge Gun Co." shotguns were made in the U.S., they were probably made by Crescent, J. Stevens, or possibly Hopkins & Allen. They all made "Hardware Store" guns.

Most likely, however, was they were made by Crescent, the largest U.S. maker of Hardware Store guns, who made inexpensive, but good quality, shotguns. The Crescent-made guns ranged from very inexpensive to moderate price......but even the cheapest Crescent I've seen was well-made and quite serviceable.

Crescent was in business from 1888 until about 1932, so some were made in the blackpowder era, and some in the modern smokeless powder era.

Sooooo.....if you want to shoot your guns, I'd suggest that you take them to a good gunsmith and find out whether or not yours is a blackpowder or modern powder gun.

NOTE: Guns designed for blackpowder should not be used with modern shotgun shells!
  7. gunnerd

gunnerd New Member

I also have a 'Bridge Gun Co.' shotgun in 12 ga., serial #A553590. It is in pretty ruogh shape. I contacted "Numrich Arms/Gun Parts Corp." on-line and went through the entire listing of parts for 'Crescent', 'Stevens' and 'H&A', and could not find anything that resembled the parts I have. I want to repair/rebuild the gun, but would it be worth the trouble? Can anyone tell me when it was made? Manufacture date codes?

Lead Forever!
  8. Anchor Clanker

Anchor Clanker New Member

Shotguns with the names Bridge Gun Co. Bridge Gun Company and Bridge Gun Works were made by Crescent Fire Arms Company of Norwich,CT (1892 to 1932) mostly with some being made by Harrington & Richardson and J. Stevens Arms Co. All were made for Shapleigh Hardware of St. Louis,MO who must have owned the name. Guns made by Crescent would have been made between 1910 and 1932. Those made by Stevens would have been made after 1915. Gunnerd, if your gun was made by Crescent, it was made in 1923. Ramrod. again if your gun was made by Crescent it was made in about 1928. Xracer, you need to update your list of names Crescent Fire Arms used. I was sitting here working on my listings and I'm up to about 400 names they used and that's not all of them. It has been said that Crescent would make as few a 12 guns with some name on them as long as the buyer paid for the die made up to stamp the name on the gun. Not all of these names were recorded. I find at least one unknown/unrecorded name a month. The best one I have come across and have one in my collection is HOO HOO.
  9. geedubcpa

geedubcpa New Member

I have a double barrel crescent with exposed hammers - I believe it was made in the 1890's - how do I determine if the barrels are ok for todays shotgun shells? Also can you purchase blackpowder shells?

The gun looks excellent in all aspects - I doubt it has seen much use based on its appearance - this is a family gun passed down to my father about 15 years ago.

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  10. ben2091

ben2091 New Member

I am late on this discussion but I also have a Bridge Gun Company single 16 ga. It is marked on the side of the receiver Bridge Gun Company and on the top of the bbl 16ga choke (probably full choke) and Made in USA. Very tight old gun and wood fitted well. My first shotgun. Can't remember whether I was 10 years old and paid $12 or 12 years old and paid $10 to my uncle. So I have owned the gun for at least 59 years. Lots of rabbits and squirrels bit the dust over my friend's black and tan hounds to this gun. Serial # is A 931XXX. Is it probably a crescent? Or maybe a Stevens?
  11. hoohoomfg

hoohoomfg New Member

hoo hoo mfg co. 16ga. anybody know this one?

12. hoohoomfg

hoohoomfg New Member

i have a shotgun not sure ga. but says only hoo hoo mfg. co. and barrel says choke bored and the handle/stock instead of most rifles they come to a 90 degree angle,mine however is factory smooth like that of a ball...never seen one like this before...
  13. RJay

RJay Active Member

Hoo Hoo Mfg Co. I've heard of the Hoo Hoo but no one seems to know who sold it. It is believed that it was made by Crescent Gun Co., at least it looks like a 1930's Crescent. Of course it is a Trade name or Store Brand name but as I stated, no one seems to know what store or hardware chain ( or perhaps a single independent store ) sold it. Crescent would special mark as few as 12 guns in an order if the purchaser paid for the roll die. I have read there are over 400 different trade names attributed to Crescent Gun Co.
  14. charlesr41

charlesr41 New Member

I also have a "Bridge Gun Company" shotgun. It is a 16 ga and has the serial # A827650. It was made by H&R as the model 47. Numrich has a few parts for it under that listing.
  15. charlesr41

charlesr41 New Member

Ben,
    Look on page 264 of Numrich catalog # 32. Parts for your shotgun are listed there as the H&R model 47. My 16 ga is serial # A827650 and was bought at a hardware store in the late 30's by my Dad.
  16. activeancient

activeancient New Member

I am brand new to this forum. Found it just this AM....... My son-in-law was given an old hardware store shotgun. It is stamped "Bridge Gun Company" and under that is stamped "Black Prince"...... SN A801653..... 20ga..... Single shot, break action......... I have read some of the postings but am wondering. Anchor Clanker's information was valuable so I'm hoping he or someone else can provide further information about this particular gun. I must restore it - nothing broken or cracked, but rusted and in rough shape. Definitely not black powder and made by Crescent or maybe Stevens I'm guessing......... Will appreciate any information any of you might be willing to provide........... Thanks.......... josephene59@yahoo.com:patriotic:
  17. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Crescent.
  18. RJay

RJay Active Member

It would have been better had you started a new thread, however: The name Bridge Gun Co. and the name Black Prince were trade names owned by Shapeigh Hard Ware Chain of St Louis. Shapeigh obtained their firearms from the lowest bidder, which ever company won the contract would then place the Trade Name as designated on the delivered firearms. Crescent would roll mark the trade name on a as small a order as 12 shotguns if the purchaser paid for the roll die. Because the hardware chain owned the name they would use it on whichever company had the lowest bid when contract time rolled around. Over the years names which have been associated with Bridge Gun Company and Black Prince are H&A, Crescent, Stevens, Iver Johnson and H&R. Shotguns marked Bridge and Black Prince with the Belgium proof mark and the words Belgium Laminated Steel were also sold by Shapeigh. So if you're are not confused then you have not been paying attention. Crescent and then Stevens were the dominate suppliers:)
  19. Raptor Jet 1

Raptor Jet 1 New Member

Hello everybody. I am new to this forum matter of fact just this morning. I discovered this forum while hunting info on a Bridge Gun Co. shotgun that my grandma gave to me just this a.m. It is a .410 shotgun she said belonged to her father who gave it to her when she got married in 1945. She is now 86 yrs. old and I am 46. I would like to know what it's worth (not to sell it, but just for my info) and to determine if it shot black powder or modern shells. Thanks
  20. RJay

RJay Active Member

These old single barrel "Trade" name shotguns do not have a high value, Condition is every thing, based on the condition most of these old shotguns are found ( Well used ) the value is probably no higher than 50 to 75 dollars. The Bridge shoguns were made in the 1930'[s and 1940's and would have steel barrels, if it is in good mechanical condition it should be safe to shoot with modern 410 loads ( 2 3/4 inch shells ) However, if it were mine I would retire it to a place of honor on the wall.