Old British Bulldog (Pistol)

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by hntrgry, Mar 21, 2012.

1. hntrgry

hntrgry New Member

This is an old British Bulldog. I inherited from my grandpa. THe gun has some rust but probable 90% of finish is left. It seems to work well, but the cylinder doesnt turn at the pull of the trigger....Hand Checkered walnut grip. SO anyway.. Whats it worth? If you need specific pics, dont be afraid to ask...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. You have a typical anonymous Belgian example imported in large numbers ca. 1880s. Open the loading gate and rotate the cylinder and there should be the Liege ELG in an oval proofmark on the cylinder face.

Have you determined caliber? Hard to tell with nothing to show scale, but if 5 shot cylinder and large caliber it's probably .44 Webley caliber, the U.S. version of British .442 revolver round. If so, value will be significantly higher than a .38 or other smaller caliber, and in condition shown often sell for $200-$300 range and sometimes higher.

It probably just need a hand spring to correct the mechanical problem.
  3. hntrgry

hntrgry New Member

Um, I think its a .44 and the l.e.g is there. Thanks for the info, u should check my other gun (manhattan arms second model)
  4. orpheus860

orpheus860 New Member

I have one of these that has the exact same mechanical issue. It appears to be a .32 caliber 7 shot. It says "Eagle Mfg. Co" on top of the barrel. Does anybody have any information on this gun?
  5. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum orpheus, but your post is much too vague:

"One of these" implies you also have a gun marked "British Bulldog" but the only 7-shot .32 BBD I know of was the one made by Forehand & Wadsworth and none are known to be marked Eagle Mfg. Co.

If you post clear photos, maybe it can be identified.
  6. orpheus860

orpheus860 New Member

Here ya go! I am guessing at the caliber, as a .357 Mag will not quite fit into the cylinder.

Attached Files:

7. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Your gun appears to exactly match this example, identified as Forehand & Wadsworth's First Model in George Layman's book.

He apparently had not seen one marked Eagle Mfg. Co. but states only 14 examples were known.

Suggest you contact George through his publisher: Stuart@manatarmsbooks.com

Caliber should be .32 S&W, and you might check to see if there are serial numbers on front end of cylinder and on frame under left grip.

Attached Files:

8. orpheus860

orpheus860 New Member

Thank you for the info. So are you saying that this might be "rare"? No markings of any kind on either end of the cylinder. There is a serial number of 515 under the left grip at the butt, inverted. One additional comment. My gun only has two side screws. All the others I have seen (including your picture) have three.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  9. orpheus860

orpheus860 New Member

Delete attempted. How do you delete a errorant post?
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  10. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Very odd as it has the usual spur on trigger to trip the sear normally held by the third screw. Off hand, I don't see any of this type in Layman's book that don't have the third screw.

Does your gun have a "safety" first click, or does hammer rebound?
  11. orpheus860

orpheus860 New Member

No "safety" first click, just straight D/A. I have not seen any with just the two screws either. So again, do you think this is rare, or just weird?
  12. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

I think it's scarce, but that doesn't mean high value. There aren't many collectors of this type, or of Forehand & Wadsworth revolvers, if that's what it is. Contact Layman and see what he thinks.
  13. orpheus860

orpheus860 New Member

Thanks again for all of the information. I sent an email to the address your supplied. I hope I get a response from Layman. I don't really care so much about value (although if it IS valuable, it won't hurt my feelings) as much as just curious about it. I love a good detective/research project. The Eagle Mfg Co thing has me intrigued. I can't even remember who gave it to me, but do remember something about them thinking it was a "theater prop gun"! If I hear back from Layman, I'll let you know. Thanks again. I know a lot more (or leads anyway) than I did before.
  14. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  15. orpheus860

orpheus860 New Member

WOW! Well that does add some broth to the soup now, doesn't it? You are right. The Eagle stamp looks just like mine. I has to be the same company. Where did you find this? This is getting more interesting all the time! I appreciate the addition information and input.