old browning semi auto

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by ctcfpd320, Feb 21, 2011.

1. ctcfpd320

ctcfpd320 New Member

my grandpa gave me his old browning semi auto been in a closet for better than 25 yrs he thinks. what i know.. its a 12gauge semi auto humpback style, on the action it says revelation model 400c and i think it says action capacity 2 3/4 when you pull the action back it locks in the back position until you press a brass button and it slides forward and has a gold/brass/bronze??trigger any info on this would be extremely appreciated!
  2. ctcfpd320

ctcfpd320 New Member

FORGOT TO MENTION ON BOTH SIDES OF THE ACTION IT HAS A FIELD WITH 2 DOGS ON POINT ENGRAVED INTO THE ACTION!
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum how about some pictures
  4. ctcfpd320

ctcfpd320 New Member

I DON'T HAVE ANY YET I WORK AT THE SHERIFFS OFFICE AND HAVE A COWORKER WHO RUNS A SMALL GUNSMITH PLACE I DIDN'T HAVE TIME TO TALK TO HIM AND HE'S OFF AND THE SUSPENSE IS KILLIN ME HE HAS THE GUN TO FIX A TRIGGER ISSUE IT HAD
    AND THANKS
  5. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Revelation was a brand name for Western Auto. the pump was made under patent license from Browning. I don't know the manufacturer for sure, but suspect it was Mossberg, as they did most of the contract manufacturing for Western Auto.

I have one of the "Browning Patent" pump shotguns, made by Mossberg for Montgomery Ward. Great gun. :D

Pops
  6. grampawmike

grampawmike New Member

Well, you shotgun was made by Savage/Stevens under a Browning patent for Western Auto. It is the same as a Savage model 750C. Mike
  7. grampawmike

grampawmike New Member

Pops, If your Western Field gun is a Mod 25, 35, or 60, these were made by Stevens under a Browning patent. The Revelation model 35 is actually a Stevens Model 520. A humpbacked pump gun. An interesting story: Stevens bought the patent with the proviso that they would be marketed as the 'Stevens/Browning'. Both names would be showing in their individual style of lettering (or font) on the side of the receiver. For each gun so marked, Browning was to receive royalties. Well, Stevens started to make these for Western Auto and Sears under their names and logos, and paid no royalty for the guns so marked. Browning sued.....and finally won. Stevens then modified the gun so as to remover the distinctive 'hump' and marketed it under the model number of 620. The 520 was used extensively in WWI as a trench gun and many actually remained in military armories until the mid '70s. Mike
  8. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Pops, I took a 30-30 lever act in on trade that was marked revelation by western auto. It was actually a mossberg. So, they must have been using multiple manufactures to make the revelation series.
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member