Old caps lock rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by itsme, Jul 14, 2012.

1. itsme

itsme New Member

I recently got this old caps lock rifle. The only markings I can find on it is on the butt-plate it has FRR engraved on it. I have no idea who the maker is. Does anyone recognize this gun? I have some more pictures if anyone has an idea of what it might be. The barrel is 32 inches long.

Attached Files:

2. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Late 19th century shotgun, possibly Belgian. If you can get the barrel off you might find proof marks under the bottom that will identify country of origin.
  3. itsme

itsme New Member

When I first got the gun I thought the markings might have been on the bottom of the barrel. There were none. If it had markings I think they might have been around the nipple. The barrel is pitted pretty bad in that area. You can see it in the picture, but that is the only area on the barrel that is pitted.
  4. Killcreek

Killcreek New Member

It appears to be an old "Zulu" type of shotgun. I would speculate that it is an old military musket that was cut down and sold after the Civil War or some such fracas, to civilians as a barn gun. I have one such piece, a .69 that is stamped as a M1842 or 43, and appears to have been a M1816 that was converted to percussion. This piece has been dry fired until the nipple is bashed.

Likely it was Belgian or French in origin, cut down in Belgium and shipped to America for cheap farmers guns.
  5. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

Yep KIll Creek you win the Hershey Bar. It is a post 1820 arm with a Back Action lock. A "Zulu" for sure. The front trigger guard tang, wrist and comb drop smells a little English. Not sure? The hammer has been replaced does not match the lock? OP did not say what caliber was? :)
  6. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

What are generally referred to as Zulu shotguns are French 1857 muskets cut down and bored smooth in Belgium and modified to a snider style breech loading system.
  7. Killcreek

Killcreek New Member

True, but then a lot of people call all carbonated drinks Cokes too.

Itsme, very carefully remove the lock. Your proof marks and dates are most likely stamped on the back side of the lock. I doubt that it is a shooter, but it is pretty neat old gun for a wall hanger.

Redwing, that is also a distinct possibility, as a lot of Brit muskets got circumcised like this one.
  8. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I doubt that the firearm pictured was ever a militry firearm. It looks to be a very hard used hunting ( don't know if it is rifled or not ) gun. It does look as if it was rode hard and put away wet, but not from abuse but from honest wear from years of work. However, it is no more a " Zulu " shotgun than a Belgium " British Bull Dog' is a Velo Dog.
  9. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

"Zulu" is a term used by gun collectors as a cover all term for this type firearm. Yes Kill Creek and I know the difference. Control its all about Control.:D