Old Colt 22 revolver????

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Rick B, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Rick B

Rick B New Member

My Father is handing down some guns to me and we always talked about this revolver. I have not been able to search anything up on this gun so was hoping to find out more of what it is, then what the value is, as it is staying in the family. Any help would be great. Thanks,,Rick B

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  2. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

Wow, very nice. Someone with smarts will be along soon.
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Rick......welcome to TFF.

Looks like you've got a very nice example of the "Colt Open Top Pocket Revolver" made from 1871 to 1877. It was a 7-shot .22 rimfire that was offered with a 2-3/8" or 2-7/8" barrel. Yours looks like the 2-3/8" version.

According to The Standard Catalog of Firearms, the value is:

Good - $1,750
    Fair - $800
    Poor - $400

It's hard to value a gun from just photographs, but I'd put yours in the Fair to Good category.
  4. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

5. Rick B

Rick B New Member

Well mine has some soldering on the revolver shaft which looks to be silver and the barrel has slack when locked in place. You can move it so there is a slight gap from the frame. It wiggles around some. Also the trigger area cover has been smacked at one time leaving a impression and I don't think it is a mold flaw. The 22 cal is pretty much gone also.
    I am thinking it isn't worth a whole lot with these flaws would anyone else? Thanks for all the help and I will take some shots of my Great Granddads 1871 Ranger no.2 Hopkins & Allen that he had engraved but my dad left it against some cloth for years and it tarnished the chrome.I have had that pistol in my collection for about 20 years. I also have a small 32 derringer by stonewall I found I'll post. Rick B

[​IMG]
  6. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Good to hear you are going to keep it in the family.