Old Colt 38, 4 digit serial, mexican copy?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Tizz, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Tizz

Tizz New Member

Don't know much about this gun. It's smaller, .38 CAL, serial number is 88xx. One guy told us it was possibly a Mexican copy. Here are the images:

Attached Files:

• 381.jpg
      381.jpg
      File size:
      527.1 KB
      Views:
    • 382.jpg
      382.jpg
      File size:
      636.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

What markings are on the barrel?
  3. Tizz

Tizz New Member

On top of the barrel it says Colt's MFG, Hartford, CT USA
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Thhis posting is just to move your post back to the top:)
  5. Goody

Goody Member

Well, as someone has said, it is not a Colt. I suppose that someone may have put a Colt barrel and some other Colt parts on. The way the trigger guard is made and attaches is all wrong for a SAA Colt. A Colt has a trigger guard that is one piece all the way down to the base of the gripframe. It appears as though the gripframe is integral with the frame on this model.

What does the stamping say on the right side of the frame, just in front and above the trigger?
  6. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

I'll vote for the "Mexican Colt" identity, as many Colt SAA imitations were imported to Mexico from Spain. An article in the Oct 1989 Gun Report: "Colt Single Action Army Copies Used in Mexico" shows one similar to yours with that Remington type trigger guard. Many also had lanyard rings.

Above will have no proof marks, as proof testing was not mandatory in Spain until 1923...
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  7. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Over the years I have seen several of these, too many to have been made in Mexico. For this reason, I think they were made in Spain. Every one of these fake Colt revolvers, like yours, that I have seen show evidence of years of long hard use and many repairs. The last one I can remember was chambered for 38.40 Winchester. Is that what your revolver is chambered for?
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

If those are the exact markings on the barrel, they are counterfeit. Colt used several markings, but never that exact wording.

I agree on the Spanish source. Spanish counterfeits were one reason S&W took the step of putting MARCAS REGISTRADAS (Registered trade marks) in Spanish on its revolvers so Latin American buyers would know the markings were trademarks of S&W and they were counterfeit if used on any other make of gun.

Jim