Old Colt 45 Revolver - around 1898

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dino757, Nov 3, 2006.

1. dino757

dino757 New Member

Hi folks:

Got one for ya. My dad has an old Colt revolver and is interested to learn if it's got any value as a collector's item:

It's a four inch revolver that was sold to a hardware store in St. Louis, MO in 1898, serial number 181392. Stamped on the gun are patents dating 9/19/1871, 7/02/1872, and 1/19/1875, and he thinks it's a .45 calibar SAO. He says he has some documentation relating the purchase and delivery of the handgun from Colt to the hardware store on the 1898 date.

As far as the condition of the gun, he says there does not appear to be any rusting, the gun seems to be operational as far as movement of the parts, and it's been kept oiled and in a stable environment, but I can't yet provide any accurate info on the condition of the bluing (if any) or the internals. I remember that it does not have any glaring knicks or physical signs of wear outside ordinary expectations.

I know this probably is not enough info, but maybe someone can let me know what else I need to drum up. I'll return from Thanksgiving with some photos, and can gather more data at that time if necessary. All he's really looking to know is if there's any considerable value here or if this is really just a nostalgia piece of no real significance to collectors and such.

Thanks very much!
    Dean
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome Dino usually on older colts like this it is hard to give an accurate value. They usually require an appraisal.
    BTW If your intrested usually you can contact Colt and they can give you a very accurate history on it.
  3. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

Sounds like a standard frame single action army. Series run from 1890-1913 inclusive serials #135000-#357859. Condition of the revolver, applicable accessories and paperwork will all weigh into the price. These SAA's are worth some decent money from that time period; I would get your certification from Colt, if you don't have it. Then take it to a charging appraiser; might ask your insurance man who he would use in such a case.
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Dino.....welcome to TFF.

Your SAA, serial #181392 was, indeed, manufactured in 1898....and is what's known as an "Early Smokeless Powder SAA (Serial # range 165,000 to 300,000).

Depending on condition, value could be from $2,000 (10% of original finish) to $15,000 (98% original finish).

In addition, add 30% for pre-1900 manufacture (transitional range 1896 - 1900)