old Colt SAA...38 spl

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by megalops, Oct 2, 2006.

1. megalops

megalops New Member

An older gentleman in my church brought to me a Colt SAA ser# in the 134,000's, it was obviously a re-barreled and refinished gun, as the trigger guard was engraved .44 cal, and the barrel said .38 spl. So it's a late black powder frame with a 2nd gen barrel and cylinder. The blue is in nice shape, case color is gone. It has a 5 1/2 in barrel and home made ivory grips.
    He was wondering if it was worth anything. I told him probably only as a shooter, but I would ask on this forum. Any imput would be appreciated.
  2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I had one like that, and a cowboy shooter gave me $600 for it. They seem to like Colts, even if they've been drastically modified.
  3. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

megalops,Your friend has what we would call a cannibalized Colt.No serous Colt collector would want it except as a conversation piece.
  4. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Agree with WW, Colts that were simply cheap shooters have moved into a higher class in CAS. Original frames and what not......they now command a premium. Not in the thousands---though few Colts really do, but easy to unload at a reasonable price.

LTS