Old double barrel 12g shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by TheGunClinger, Jun 30, 2010.

1. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I've had this old shotgun hanging on my wall for 30 years or so. I just realized that I dont know the first thing about it such as how old, where made, etc. There is some writing on top of the barrel but I cant make it out other than the first word which is Belgium. On the side plate it says Janssen & Sons & Co. I cant find anything about them. I just tried to upload pics but it wouldnt go. I'll try again. Ah! two at a time works better.

Attached Files:

2. TheGunClinger

Any way to ascertain the date of the gun? I see this stamped all over the gun (pic). Seems if it is a 1953 model it is pretty beat up. I'm a 1952 model and I dont look quite as beat....well.... maybe I do.:(

Attached Files:

3. kingcuke

kingcuke Member

It wasn't made in 1953, probably more like 1890 to early 1900's. A picture of the barrel marking wouldn't hurt. Someone on the forum will no doubt be able to tell you what all the proof marks mean. It is Belgian and probably not worth a great deal, but does make a cool wallhanger.
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

As was posted it is a Belgium shotgun, made by Janssen Fils and Cias ( Janssen and Sons & Co ). Under one name or the other this family was in the gun making business from 1865 until at least 1954. I agree on the date after 1888 untill 1911. After WWI outside hammer shotguns were no longer popular in the States. Every one wanted one of those new shotguns with internal hammers. Janssens Family was one of the better makers and made a quality shotgun, however value is still not super high. The prices on these old shotguns have gone up in recent years but I feel 150 to 200 would be tops, could be wrong, could be a little higher or lower.
  5. TheGunClinger

Thanks guys! Value isnt important as it looks nice on the wall. It looks to be really old but in reality it is just pretty beat up, well used. Kingcuke... where would I see the barrel markings that you would like to see?
    BTW, did you happen to see that little pistol hanging on the wall next to the 12g? It is an old Kilgore Invincible cap gun. Thing still works.
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

You've already shown all the proof marks which identifies the country and maker.:) There is no way to pin the date down to a specific year , only an era.