Old Double Barrel Flintlock

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by wingspar, Apr 30, 2010.

1. whirley

whirley Member

I'd hang it on the wall and just enjoy the memories of my father fixing it up. However, if you want a double barreled flintlock shooter, I've seen several brand new ones at annual muzzle loader meets in Indiana. However if you just want to get cash for it, any good quaality auction house will be willing to handle it for a fee. I've seen several antique flintlock rifles made by recognized Pa. gunsmiths around 1790-1820 and most sold for around $1000
    However like anything else, if two people are determined to own an item, things can get pricey in a hurry.
  2. wingspar

wingspar Member

To be honest, there is no, that is Zero sentimental value of this gun to me. I have no desire to keep it, and no desire to hang it on my wall. It will stay wrapped up in my closet till I find out what I might be worth. I live remotely, so going to an auction house isn’t an option.

I do have a couple of guns from my father that do have sentimental value, and I will never sell either one of them. They are both shooters. This flintlock isn’t one of them, and I would love to sell it, but, need to know the value before I try to sell it. It’s been in my closet since 1988. I’ve only taken it out to take the photos.
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

wingspar, if you felt it in your heart to give me that shotgun i would have it brought back to firing condition and shoot are of clays with it. it would have sentimental value to me :)
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Hi, Big Shrek,

I don't know what you do for a living, but if you can duplicate work like that, you can make a darned good living at it and have work for the rest of your life.

Jim
  5. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

The wood on this gun is repairable; missing pieces can be filled with old wood of similar grain and color and then carefully stained to match the original wood (NOT plastic wood). The idea is not to make the repairs invisible, but to make them blend in nicely without destroying the original patina of the wood. It would be a shame to try and replace the stock--it would ruin the gun in my opinion. I believe the value, it its present condition would be in the $800 range.
  6. wingspar

wingspar Member

Thanks for the info. It’s obviously a very rare gun, and I was hoping it would be worth a lot more than $800, but maybe I’m expecting too much.

I took it to a gun show about 19 years ago, and tried to find an appraiser. The only one I found was from out of state, wouldn’t give me the time of day, said to ship it to him, he would appraise for about $500, and ship back at my cost. Didn’t seem interested in me or my possible business at all. Obviously, I passed on that. Wish I lived near Pawn Stars.