Old Double Shotgun

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by scarlisle, Jan 13, 2012.

1. scarlisle

scarlisle New Member

Hello to all. I'm having a real problem trying to find out the name and year this shotgun was made. I have researched very good and can't find anything. Maybe someone has seen one or know about this gun. I'll give what info. I have. Under the barrels are the following: The letters "ELG in an oval with a star under the letters;) On the right barrel is a V with a crown; also the letters 18.8 there is also some kind of mark that I have no idea what it is. On the left barrel is a R with a different crown over it. I'm aware of the Belgium marks, and the proff marks are the V&R (I think.) I havent removed the Butt plate as of yet. I'd like to know something before I do that. I don't have any info. other than that. It has lots of scroll work and engraving on it. I have plenty of pictures on "Photobucket." Here's how to get to the pictures: (http://photobucket.com/1800sBblgun) When you get to the page click on "all albums" then scroll down to "Old Doublebarrel shotgun" Click on the picture and it will enlarge and then just click "Next" to advance through the pictures. That's all there is to it. While you are there you might want to look at my 1949 Chevy truck that I'm just about through with. Any info. will be appriciated. I put them on Photobucket because I put a good many pictures on there. Thanks for taking the time and maybe helping. If you want to email me feel free to do so at (Steven1oakridge@yahoo.com) It also has the letters stenciled on the underside of the right barrel "LCH." The gun is 50 1/4" long and the barrel is 34 1/2"
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  2. scarlisle

scarlisle New Member

I forgot, it also has the letters stenciled under the right barrel "LCH." Sorry, you can see it in the pictures.
  3. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

As you know, the ELG is a Belgian proof mark. The V and R under crowns are inspector's marks--used between 1853 and 1877. Your shotgun, although a bit fancier than most, is fairly typical of double barrel muzzleloaders of that period. LCH may be the barrel maker. I'd date it about 1870.
  4. Anchor Clanker

Anchor Clanker Member

Sorry, but the photographs are not clear enough for these old eyes to make out the markings. I'll have to accept what others reported. Could find no listing for a LCH but did fin listings for a LH (Henri Lochet Chaufontaine) and LLH (L. Lochet Harbarn) both Belgian barrel maskers.
  5. scarlisle

scarlisle New Member

Thank you all for the replys. At least I know more than I did. I also found the Letters, "F.T" on the barrel. I removed the side plates and found no marks of any kind. What I did find was some of the best workmanship that I've seen. Unreal how the small parts were made in the 1800's. I'll post some pictures soon of the inside of the Hammers. Again, Thank you so much. scarlisle
  6. scarlisle

scarlisle New Member

I'v added six more pictures to photobook. They will be the first six pictures of the hammer system. Note number 6 picture. If you zoom it you can see the letters "GL" I didn't see it until I zoomed the pictures. Maybe that means something. Thanks, scarlisle
  7. scarlisle

scarlisle New Member

Maybe if you zoom in on the pictures you can make them out more clearly. If you click "zoom' and then click "web zoom" it will enlarge them and you can see so much more. Thanks (you probably already knew that!)
  8. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

If you want to see some 1800s workmanship, take the back off a mid-century pocketwatch. This is typical quality (although it doesn't appear to be worn out). The carving, engraving, and crude inlays are more than what you would find of a run-of-the-mill gun of that era, but not that of a high-end shotgun.
  9. scarlisle

scarlisle New Member

Thanks for the info. I have an 'OLD" pocket watch and it still runs, of course you have to wind it but it keeps great time. The second hand on it does not jump but sweeps. I forget the name at the present , it's locked up in my safe. I open the safe often and every time I open it I set the time and wind it up.
  10. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

It's probably a guild gun. Meaning it had no specific maker. Just a lot of craftsmen making the parts they made best.