Old gun, loaded in the front. (sorry for the english, i am danish)

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by TNichum, Nov 2, 2010.

1. TNichum

TNichum New Member

Can someone tell me what it is worth?

Attached Files:

• gun1.bmp
      File size:
      922.7 KB
      Views:
    • gun2.bmp
      File size:
      922.7 KB
      Views:
    • gun3.bmp
      File size:
      922.7 KB
      Views:
  2. TNichum

TNichum New Member

On the side it says: "Black powder only" and "ultra hi or ht, can't tell. on the top it says: " BP" with a logo and then proof tested. On the other side it says .67 cal. Japan 9756 and thats it.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The term you wanted was "muzzle loader".

It's not an old gun. If it was, it would have been handmade, would not have a serial number, and would not say "black powder" on it. Back then black powder was the only kind, so there was no need to put that warning on the guns.

You have a modern replica, worth, maybe 75 dollars.
  4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

this is a modern reproduction .67 caliber flintlock, muzzle loader/blackpowder. they sometime came in a kit form and the buyer has to put them together. value is rather low. non firing replicas sell for less than a 100 usd new and working models around 200 to 300 usd new depending on style, and caliber.
  5. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Pretty cool looking for a replica gun. And .67 caliber makes it look a bit intimidating.
  6. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

for those restricted and unable to own a "modern" gun this thing loaded with carpet tacks would make a dandy up close and personal home defender
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Ouch! I think anyone shooting carpet tacks, even in self defence, would probably be in trouble.

Those flintlock repros were made in Japan around 30 years ago. Most had too soft frizzens to actually fire, but they looked nice.

Jim
  8. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I agree, looking very closely at the lock and barrel, I think this one was made for the wall only. The barrel looks like soft iron pipe. But then again, that's just ollking at a picture.
  9. grcsat

grcsat Active Member

Carpet tacks-------------Dam thats gotta hurt.

The pistol looks like an old CVA kit from the late 70s
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  10. zb338

zb338 New Member

It has sycamore wood.

Zeke
  11. BullShoot

BullShoot New Member

grcsat said, 'The pistol looks like an old CVA kit from the late 70s'

Gotta disagree with that. The CVA kits were artistic marvels compared to this one. The flat-plate hammer looks like nothing I have ever seen on a real pistol; the abrupt end to the forestock looks like the end of a mill run. The pipe used for a barrel is much too thin for that sized bore. Commercial Junque.

IMO, ymmv.

BullShoot
  12. grcsat

grcsat Active Member

You'r most likly right. I just mentioned what it reminded me of.
  13. 22shot

22shot New Member

Like several guys have pointed out; you have a "reproduction" BP Pistol.
    I doubt if it was a "kit".
    It was mfg. in Japan for Ultra-Hi. It is a copy of the British Tower pistol; On the lock plate it should have a "crown" over letters G R impressed between the hammer and frizzen; the letters S A R behind the hammer. The brass butt insured that the wood would't split when it was used as a club; after fireing your one and only shot.
    This is just an educated guess; but it may have been made by Miroku; a top Japanese gunmaker. (I have a caplock .45 pistol; Ultra-HI; Miroku: Japan; and I've fired it. The workmanship is top notch.)
    The presense of "proof" marks indicates your pistol is intended to be fully functional; it looks unfired.
    As posted; it is worth at least $75 but not more than $200.

Collector value is in the eye of the beholder.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  14. papadenis

papadenis New Member

22shot,

I own the exact gun you described in your reply post. If my gun has a Crown over GR and SAR behind the hammer does this mean my gun is authentic vs. a replica? The gun is in very good condition and appears to be in full working order.

Any idea on its value if all parts are authentic? Can you tell me anything more about its history?

papa
  15. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The repro makers often put on the crown and royal cipher to make the guns look more authentic. If your gun is marked "black powder only" it is obviously a reproduction since in the days of the original, as Alpo says, there was no other kind. It should also be marked with the country of origin and may have a serial number; neither would be on a genuine antique.

Jim