Old gun, loaded in the front. (sorry for the english, i am danish)

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by TNichum, Nov 2, 2010.

1. 22shot

22shot New Member

Papadenis

This is the Tower Flintlock I've described.
    I've shot it with 40gr. Pyrodex; newspaper wading; 4Fg powder in the pan.
    Big ffsBOOM; lotsa smoke; and a lot of cleanup.
    WEAR shooters glasses!

This is a repro; I'm sure I can get $150-$200 for it; wouldn't sell it for less.

Picked it up at a local gun show about 10 years ago.

Welcome to TTF!

Attached Files:

2. papadenis

papadenis New Member

Interesting. Here are a few pictures of my gun. Hopefully this will help identify its age.

No where on the gun does it saw Black Powder Only. In fact, the only markings on the barrel is in the last photo. E|G

papa

DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
  3. 22shot

22shot New Member

papadenis

I believe your Tower flintlock is a reproduction; based on your pics and description.

No proof or acceptance marks.

EIG on the barrel was the importer.

The absence of a serial # means that it was imported into this country prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968 (these guns were just old timey Davy Crocket things; why bother).
    After 1968 the hammer came down.

The "black powder only" thing was added later; after it was found out that too many citizens were eliminating essential parts of their anatomy by stuffing them with "smokeless".

EIG iported these; and others;
    1950's-1960's.

The Internet God won't tell me who EIG was...
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

EIG was Saul Eig, an importer of knives and inexpensive firearms from Europe ( read Germany, Italy and Spain) His company was based in Miami, Florida until the 1960's. He sold out and the new owners formed EIG Cutlery Inc., they lasted until 1983.
  5. robwhite365

robwhite365 New Member

I have a similar looking gun but does not have the words " black powder only" all i can find imprinted on it was , a small Japan on the barrel, GR under the Hammer, and SAR behind the flint mechanism...can anyone tell me if this is the real deal or another replica
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I would have to say it was a replica. During the era when Japan was useing such weapons they didn't export them and they sure didn't mark them Japan.
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I once started to read a story about the Civil War, described in the foreword as "based on meticulous research." In the first two pages, set in 1859, the author described a pistol marked "Black Powder Only" and referred to events in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia.

I didn't bother with page three of the "meticulous research."

Jim
  8. robwhite365

robwhite365 New Member

Well my grandfather passed it down to me, I do have genuine items he passed down from ww2, I know this can't b from that era, but since his others are authentic I'm wondering if this is as well. It's rusty barrel has Japan imprinted on it and two small symbols next to it as well. I've yet to find info on it as I have the others.
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

U.S. law requires that commercially imported items (other than cartridge firearms) be marked with the "country of origin" or "COO". The "Japan" mark shows that the gun was imported commercially into the U.S., not a vet bringback or an antique (antiques are exempt from the law since the mark would devalue them).

So is your Grandfather's gun "authentic"? Yes, it is an authentic gun. It is just not an antique gun or a valuable one.

Jim
  10. robwhite365

robwhite365 New Member

Thank you Jim. I did notice the other items passed down from him that are authentic ww2 items did not say the country of origin on them, some of the knives did have the year and manufacturer imprinted on them. Thank you
  11. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Nuts :D Me I would make a field expediant claymore mine (seen it done) anyway I reckon you would get nailed for "excessive force". However an idea when there is no govt after the collapse:D