1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Old Guys & Paint Balls -range report

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by todd51, Apr 19, 2012.

1. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

:dance::dance::dance:
    Thank you John Henry ! Three old guys had a ball today thanks to you. In a thread about target ideas John Henry suggested super gluing paint balls to a backer board and then shooting at them with .22lr from 50 yards. That sounded like a fun challenge so off I went to the store to find some paint balls and some glue. Never having even looked at a paint ball and knowing nothing at all about them I did manage to find a jar of them and a tube of super glue. Holy cow I have eaten blue berries bigger than these paint balls but glued nine of them on to a sheet of cardboard figuring that it just about take all our normal range load of .22's to hit those tiny little paint balls at 50 yards. Now I know some of you might not think much about shooting them but the three of us at the range today represent over 200 years collectively and we shake, tremble and can't see too good, ha.

Well to begin the day we experimented with some different ammo and adjusted some scope settings and played around on paper at 50 and 100 yards. Results were typical and nothing to right home about. It was lunch time by them so we broke out the Subways and Vernor's and sat a spell, old guys need frequent breaks.

After the lunch break I went to the trunk and brought out the cardboard with the paint balls glued in place and explained where I had heard about the idea and suggested we each take three balls and shoot till we either splatter them or run out of ammo. I was betting on running out of ammo. This caused remarks like "good grief those are tiny", or "I can't even see them let alone hit them, or " yea, right, you have to be kidding.

But you know, JLA keeps telling me "aim small and miss small" (thank you Josh). Since it was my bright idea to shoot paint balls at 50 yards I had to go first. Well just as predicted I missed my first two shots but to everyone's surprise I hit the next two paint balls with the first shot on each. I was flabbergasted and jumping with joy at the same time. Bob was next said he didn't even want to try after seeing that but he stepped up to the plate and with five shots total splattered his three balls. That left Jim who was sure he was going to be embarrassed but seven shots later all three of his paint balls were splattered. You should have seen those three old coots giggling and full of joy. If you haven't tried this I highly recommend it.

Rifles used today were a Marlin 60W/Tasco scope, Winchester 9422/BSA Sweet 22scope, and Winchester Wildcat/Barska scope.

In the morning experimenting I found my Marlin 60W doesn't like Wolf Match Target as well as it does CCI Mini Mag or especially CCI standard velocity. All of the paint balls were shot with CCI standard velocity 40gr. RN by all shooters in different rifles.

We also completed some range repair work adding some new wood to the target holders after ten years of stray hits. And we hung some more Arntzen steel plates.

Thank you John Henry for helping three guys have a heck of a lot of fun.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  2. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Ya know Todd, that range of yours is lookin better everytime I see it! Glad you enjoyed yourself you OLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD FARTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!
  3. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Pretty good Todd, you OOOOLLLLDDDD fart. Seriously, I am going to try that but like you said, I might run out of ammo first.
  4. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

Thanks Todd ..... 'preciate the kind words !
    Perhaps someday we'll get to try those paint balls together .... I suspect that
    your range isn't all that far from me .

JH
  5. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Love the range and the paint ball range.
  6. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Nice shooting, I must say!!!
    Great idea with the paint balls and your range is looking good Todd!
  7. Zane71464

Those are some fine looking Rifles!
  8. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Thanks Dale, the little stock Marlin is mine, the two Winchesters belong to Jim. I sold him the 94-22 this spring. It is probably the best shooter of the bunch but I just like plinking with a semi auto the way we play down at the range. I messed up the posting of the photo of the paint ball target so here is the one I intended to post.

Since you had been playing with your new Marlin I took mine down to play with. I didn't have any of the Blazers you are liking but It had shown a preference for CCI Mini Mags and likes CCI Standard Velocity even better. What surprised me was it didn't shoot the Wolf Match Target as well as either of the CCI's. My 10/22 really like the Wolf. Just goes to show you have to check them all out.

Going to glue up some more paint balls and take the Ruger along. Hoping it will do better. But this may just as good as an Ooooolllldddd Faaarrrttt can do :D
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  9. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

That looks like one heck of a good time!
  10. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

Old guys and paint balls!I thought I was going to see you guys covered with paint stains all over each other.
    Thats a real nice looking lever action rifle.Someday I'll get one similar.I keep impulse buying 22 revolvers when I save my money up.
  11. Zane71464

That's some good shooting no matter how you look at it!
    I havent tried the Wolf ammo,i reckon for the fact I havent seen it around here
    local. I'd thought about ordering some, a few, to try it out. And as you said,
    you never know and one does need to try them all out.
    I'm anxious to see how your Ruger does Todd. The older one I used to own
    seemed to do well, but I just never got what you might call "serious" with it
    while I owned it. I zeroed it in and it'd hit about anthing I needed to hit with it.
    (wish I would have taken more time with it...I have one in the gun cabinet, just
    isnt mine) Need to get it out and shoot it, it needs it, bad!
  12. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

hey Todd how bout hanging some cow bells out there
  13. Zane71464

...with the "beef" attached? :D
  14. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Beth some body would sneak on to the range and shoot the bell with a center fire and that would be the end of the bell. Course I could just put it away each time but you know how old people forget to do stuff. But you have planted the seed so the next time I see a cow bell maybe at Tractor Supply I may just try one.

I hung a four inch Arntzen tempered steel plate yesterday at 100 yards and it dings fairly well with a .22 lr. But not as good as a real bell would, thanks for the idea.
  15. noslolo

noslolo New Member

Wow that is a fantastic range you have! I love the paintball idea, i think my son would love a new challenge for his Savage mark II.