Old Iver Johnson automatic Safety Hammerless question

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by olhippie, Feb 28, 2012.

1. olhippie

olhippie New Member

...I've got an Iver Johnson safety hammerless breaktop 38 S&W revolver. It does not have a serial number prefaced by a letter code. In fact the serial number is on the bottom surface of the grip butt. It is clearly a second model, since it has a dual post top latch and a trigger safety insert. My particular gun is nickle plated with black ornate owl head grips. The serial number reads 9801 on the butt (no numbers under the grips) The pat'd dates appear along the barrel top rib surface and read as follows "Apr. 6 '86, Feb 15 '87,Dec 28 '93 (the print is VERY small, but that is thebest my old eyes can do). Any idea on a positive date of mmanufacture?...I'm planning to mount the gun in a display frame for wall hanging along with a period advertisement of the gun I found and copied from the internet. The gun was being used with modern ammo, but has sloppy timing that I'd not trust, and I would not risk the old gun to any use but a human interest conversation piece.The condition is as follows: nickle plate approx. 80-85% (some missing around where the gasses have removed the plating adjcent the cylinder top strap area0 grips show all detail, unworn, near mint. no rust. bore is still shiny, no visible pitting in the bore or anywhere on the gun..
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  2. hrf

hrf Active Member

Welcome to the forum.

Your gun is an antique made 1895, but should also have patent date May 10, 87 between Feb 87 and Dec 93 dates.
  3. olhippie

olhippie New Member

It does in fact have that date too, just as you've said. I missed liting it earlier. I'm surprized it's that old! It sure doesn't show it's age....It'll be a really cool framed wall hanger. A real piece of history! Thanks for your help..
  4. codygx123

codygx123 New Member

i have the same BUT the Sn's are as followed
    SN on trigger guard : 32919
    SN under grip : B32319
    Dates on Butt : June 16 96 Aug 25 96
    T.16.04 PETS PEND
    can anyone tell me what the age is and if its safe to use modern ammo.
  5. RJay

RJay Active Member

Double check that prefix under the left grip, are you sure that it is a B or perhaps it could be a R?. use a magnifying glass.
  6. hrf

hrf Active Member

See reply to your first post.

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=72489
  7. RJay

RJay Active Member

The patten number could also be PAT"D.JUN.16.96AUG.25.96.
    SEPT.4.04.PAT'S. PENDING
    Three patent dates which more closely refects what he posted, which is also for a double post hammerless:)
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  8. hrf

hrf Active Member

RJay, although Bill listed last patent date as Sept.4.04 on page 57, The examples listed and pictured on page 65 show that it was Sept.6.04