Old J Stevens Long Tom 12 Ga Needs Help

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by featherhead, Aug 23, 2009.

1. featherhead

featherhead New Member

Newbie here in western north carolina, with gun show find. Couldn't resist for $90 bucks. Tore it all down, glued the cracks in the stock. Reassembled and tightened everything up. Tried my best to hone the bore, choke section cleaned up the nicest, but barrel is scored. Need an ejector spring. It's .270 OD about 17/64, but don't know what the factory length would have been. The pics show the remnant of what might have been the factory spring. I have rigged it with a Colt 1911 main spring, but it tend to buckle at the contact point with the ejector pin. It's compressed to about 1 1/4". I'd like to find a source for that spring. Looks like a flat wound spring. Also toying with the idea of having the barrel backbored. Any sources for that work would be appreciated. I'm gonna take it to the range today and shoot it a bit to see if it stays together. If so I plan on using it at some indoor turkey shoots.

Attached Files:

2. featherhead

featherhead New Member

Also wondering if this action had a firing pin spring or return spring? This one is floppin free in the block.
  3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I knew Sears used the Name Long Tom as as a store name, I was was unaware the the Long Tom was Stevens made. Is the shotgun marked " Long Tom"
  4. featherhead

featherhead New Member

No Jay, I'm just using the long tom name generically cause the barrel is 36". It's not marked as such, but does say high compression steel on the barrel. Was also wondering about that receiver finish. Looks like they recruited and exec from the Farberware company to put on the deluxe kitchen mate bronze tone to match the misses pots and pans of the period. I have to say it shows minimal signs of wear for its age.
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

For parts for your " Stevens " try Numrich, Jack First, and Hoosier Gun Works. Your shotgun may have been nickle plated at one time, I believe, to get the nickle to bond to the steel they used a copper or bronze wash.
  6. gazzmann

gazzmann New Member

e-gunparts.com
    Numerich gun parts.