old magazine needs identification

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Ithaca-dbl12, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Ithaca-dbl12

Ithaca-dbl12 New Member

A friend gave me a bag of random gun parts. In it were three magazines, two of which were clearly marked Savage. The other one has no markings at all. Any ideas what it is or what it is worth? Guessing it is pre WW1 based upon a discussion with the friend who gave me the parts. Photos attached.

Attached Files:

2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Possibly from a Savage 1907 ? Do you have any pics of the parts?
  3. Ithaca-dbl12

Ithaca-dbl12 New Member

Try these photos.

Attached Files:

4. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Give me a week or so and I will look at my savave mag but I think that is right. IF it is AND you want to sell it, I am interested. I say a week being I had my leg put in a plaster splint casr yesterday and am not "supposed" to do anything including going to my shop by the house where all my gun safes are. I am in bed and "supposed" to NOT walk for 4 weeks but will look in a week. I went a week before they found teh fracture with wrap and inmobilizing my ankle/leg on my own so in a week I can at least use cruthes to the shop.
  5. Ithaca-dbl12

Ithaca-dbl12 New Member

No rush. Get better soon.
  6. Ken W

Ken W Member

I can't tell you what it is but I can say for certainty what it isn't. Below is a picture of the mag from my Savage 1907. As you can see they look nothing alike. Sorry that I can't help out more.

Attached Files:

7. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

A "bag of random parts": Random is an understatement!

eg. left hand hammer for a percussion shotgun, right hand hammer for a breech-loading shotgun, hammer for a Flobert rifle or pistol, grips for an H&R top-break revolver, trigger guard from an old .22, etc, etc

Anything on the tag attached to the mystery magazine?
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  8. Ithaca-dbl12

Ithaca-dbl12 New Member

Chuckling... looks like a price tag for maybe $0.75
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The middle hammer resembles that of the 1889 Remington double barrel shotgun; the left hand one is a cast reproduction made oversize and intended to be fitted to the gun and finished by a gunsmith. The set of toggle links (Winchester 1866 or 1873?) are in the same category. Parts like that are often bought from Dixie or someone else for "restoration" jobs that are never completed once the buyer finds out how much work needs to be done.

Jim