1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Old Mauser Geha shotgun

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by polamalu43, Feb 8, 2011.

1. polamalu43

polamalu43 Member

I recently got an old Geha conversion bolt-action shotgun from a friend. It hasn't been fired for probably 30 years, and its pretty dirty. I want to take the bolt out and give the gun a good cleaning, but I can't get the bolt out. I've tried everything, but the bolt will not pull all the way out. Any suggestions for this novice?
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Unless I'm missing something, a Geha is a modified Mauser shotgun. There is a lever. parallel to the receiver { opposite of the bolt } on the left side. This has to raised before the bolt can be removed.
  3. polamalu43

polamalu43 Member

Thanks for responding. The only thing that appears to be a lever is the safety catch, which lays behind the bolt. Whatever position that catch is in, it will not allow the bolt to be pulled out of the receiver. There are no other levers or buttons on the gun that I can see. I have attached pictures of the gun, which I found on the web. This is not my gun, but it appears to be identical in every respect. You can see the safety catch to the rear of the bolt. Again, thanks for your help mau_0591-05.jpg

mau_0591-07.jpg

mau_0591-20.jpg

mau_0591-31.jpg
  4. polamalu43

polamalu43 Member

The bolt can be pulled back completely, but not all the way out of the gun, so that I can clean it. Just wanted to be clear. Thanks.
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

In your photographs, opposite of the bolt handle there is a screw, that is the pivot point for the bolt removal lever,think you can find it from there:) If you are still having trouble, post back, there must be something wrong.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I THINK the GEHA bolt comes out using the regular Mauser bolt stop. Look at that part with the screw and you see a lug sticking up. Use it to pull the bolt stop out away from the receiver while pulling the bolt to the rear.

Jim
  7. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

I seem to recall that the bolt heads on those things are often broken because people have trouble removing them. The bolt head has to come off before the bolt can be pulled out of the action. I have not looked at one in a while, but with the bolt open, check to see if there is a retaining screw in the bolt body or if you have to twist off the bolt head to remove it.
  8. polamalu43

polamalu43 Member

Thanks everybody for your advice. Will advise how it worked.
  9. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

[​IMG]

The Mauser rifle to shotgun conversion required a special extra large bolt head for 12ga shells.

The bolt head is held in place by the extractor. No twisting or extra screws required.

The extractor must be lifted away from the bolt head enough to lift the extractor out of a groov in a slot in the head. The extractor does not have to be pulled out very far, so be careful not to brake it.

I have found that a screw driver can be placed betwene the extractor and bolt body and then turned slightly to lift the extractor enough to pull off the bolt head. Or, you can lift the extractor with your left finger while pulling the bolt head off with your left thumb.

After the bolt head is removed, it is then possible to take out the bolt as usual for a 98 Mauser.
  10. polamalu43

polamalu43 Member

I have tried unscrewing the screw from what I think is the bolt stop. It raised up about 1/4" and stopped-the screw could be turned further, but it would not raise out any more. The bolt plate stayed in place. Then, I managed to carefully place a flathead screwdriver under the large bolt head, and it did come out easily. There is a small silver lever that seems to run inside a slot in the side of the bolt. It feels like it is holding the bolt in the receiver. It can be pulled out of the slot in the side of the bolt, but it still does not free the bolt to be pulled out of the receiver. Is there something I am missing? Sorry to be such a pain. I do appreciate all the good info everybody is providing.
  11. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Now that you mention it, my Geha shotgun bolt was also sticky to remove. Holding the bolt release lever outward, I gave the bolt a hard tug and it came out. The bolt release lever is located on the left side of the action, it has to be pulled out and held out while the bolt is being pulled out. I have not explored why my GEHA bolt was harder to remove than the usual 98 bolt, it may have something to do with the design. Anyway, try not to use too much force on it. If the bolt head is off, and the bolt still won't come out, try removing the bolt stop as a unit and then the trigger assembly to see what the hang up is.

Let us know what you find.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  12. polamalu43

polamalu43 Member

OK. I will try this, and let you know. Thanks.
  13. polamalu43

polamalu43 Member

It worked. I pulled the bolt release lever out, and tugged with some force. The bolt came out. The large bolt head did pop off, but I have had it off already and cleaned it. Thanks for everybody's help. Now, finally, I can clean that dirty bolt.
  14. slinton

slinton New Member

HI

I also have a Geha conversion 12 Gauge. Just wondering if anyone has problems with the extractor flying off after I work the action after a shot.

Thanks
  15. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

I have not had that problem. But I have not fired any of these things all that much. I'd check the bolt to extractor linkup to see if there is something broken or not engaged properly.

BTW, keep your ammo light because the stocks tend to crack if you fire heavy loads or slugs in Mauser Geha shotguns.