Old Mauser questions

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by gdmoody, Sep 21, 2009.

1. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Some time last week, I was at my local candy store and I saw an old 7mm Mauser. I was told that it was a Chilean Mauser but the crest didn't look right to me, but I don't know a whole lot about Mausers. I have a VZ24 from Czechoslovakia and a M48 from Yugoslavia.

Well anyway, I was just facinated with it, so I gave the shop $125 for this old thing. When I got it home, I searched on the internet for Mauser Crests and I think that this one is an early Spanish Mauser. The crests match up OK but the place I was looking describes it as an 1895 Spanish Carbine with the overall length as 37 inches. Mine measures 46 inches so I am puzzled. I do not have any reference books on Mausers. I am going to post some pictures with the hopes that someone can tell me exactly what it is.

I know that it started out as a military weapon but the bayonet lug is missing, the rear sight has parts missing (the thing you move up and down for distance). The picture I see on the internet shows the front sight with "ears" around it but this one doesn't have any. I would like to put it back in original condition but am not sure what to order from Numrich because I don't know exactly which country it came from.

First we have a picture of the receiver Crest, it is not all that clear but it is a small Crown with a cross on top, it says in a semi circle around the crown FABRICA DE ARM-S with OVIEDO under that and 1915 under that.
    [​IMG]

A picture of the rear sight with the parts missing:
    [​IMG]

A couple of pictures of the muzzle end of of the rifle. It shows the stock going to the end of the barrel and the one of the bottom also shows where the missing bayonet lug might have been cut from. Notice no "EARS" around the front sight.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last two are just of the butt stock and the action, nothing spectacular here:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If any one has any information that can help me find the right parts for it, I would greatly appreciate it. If you need more pictures or pictures of a particular part of the rifle, please let me know and I will post them.

Thanks

George
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

You've got either a '93 or a '95 Mauser...probably a '93. Check the bottom of the bolt face to see if it's squared off or round. If square then it's an early '93. I've heard, but never seen one, that later '93 Spanish Mauser did away with the squared off bolt face and went round like the '95 and 94/96 Swedes.
    It is definitely a Spanish-built rifle. Oviedo Arsenal

I've never seen that particular carbine barrel/stock setup that you've got. Cavalry or Artillery Carbine...I'm not sure what all variants that Spain used.

Here's a quickie ID page from Hoosier Gun Works.
    http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/mauser_reference.html
    It doesn't look like they've got a rear sight elevator for your rifle though.
  3. gdmoody

Thanks Bindernut, the bottom of the bolt face IS squared off, so it must be a '93. With that information, maybe I can find some parts for it. The link you gave has a nose cap assembly with a bayonet lug, but it costs as much as I paid for the entire rifle!!

It may be a mismatched thing with incorrect wood, none of the numbers match, so it is just a shooter!

If anyone has any other info, jump right in!
  4. gdmoody

I just found out a little more information about this rifle. I called Springfield Sporters up in PA to order a couple of parts. When I described the rifle and how the stock went all the way to the end of the barrel, the man told me that a few years ago a bunch of them were imported and the barrels were cut down to the end of the stock for a more "sportier" look. What a way to treat an old war horse!!
  5. Skipper

Skipper Member

6. gdmoody

Thanks Skipper, I did check with Numrich first, and alway have when I need parts. A friend at work told me about Springfield Sporters so I thought I would try them for a change. The one part that I was really was looking for was the rear sight ladder, at Numrich it is $22.00 and at S.S. it is $5.00. From now on, I will check S.S. first