Old Mossberg with a brass scope

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

warpig883
    (12/17/01 4:08:45 pm)
    Reply Old Mossberg with a brass scope
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It is $250.00 think I will pass but not sure yet.

God and the soldier all men adore. In times of trouble and no more. For when war is over and all things righted, God is neglected and the soldier slighted. *Carved on a stone sentry box on Gibraltar

Edited by: warpig883 at: 12/17/01 4:09:51 pm

RobC in Missouri
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/17/01 6:40:59 pm)
    Reply Re: Old Mossberg With a Brass Scope
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Looks nice, but I'm not that diehard of a Mossberg collector yet to pay $250 for one - although if I ever find a Model L, I'll probably have to pay more.

I don't know - it's that budget collector in me. All started with the C&R FFL and Century 3fers...and a CMP M44...

I just parted with a minty Mossberg 151k (I think that was the model, or was it a 152? The semi-auto) with Weaver scope for $100. Wonder what that would've brought on auction?

RobC in Missouri

warpig883
    (12/17/01 7:25:06 pm)
    I am still thinking about it. That scope and mount are Mossberg hardware not add on.
    To silence the mocker is to proclaim his litany true

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (12/17/01 7:34:24 pm)
    That is a model 46, if I`m not mistaken, but the sights do not look correct and may have been replaced. It should have the Tri-sight set-up....having a peep on the rear of the action and middle standard sight, the front sight should be hooded....or it has been removed. The scope and mount is not correct for that rifle, but I guess from that time. Looks good to me from what I can see. The upper end on a clean and correct Model L46A-LS (left hand) is over $300.00 by a hair.....$40.00 less for a right handed one. Good find. Condition and correctness is the key to these. LTS

***EDIT****

This price does not include the scope and mount. If they are Mossberg, that is still a plus even though not correct for that rifle, so the price is not that bad depending on the overall condition of the rifle and quality of the optics (cloudy or clear).
    I`m really not here..........Yea! ......sure!

Edited by: LIKTOSHOOT at: 12/17/01 7:56:32 pm

warpig883
    (12/17/01 8:36:16 pm)
    Here is the info off Guns America hwere I found it.

1934 22 short/long/long rifle
    GA# 976117783 $250.00 C.F. MOSSBERG AND SONS INC., HARTFORD CONN. USA,NC46A 22 S-L-LR PATENTS PENDING. ONE OWNER BOUGHT IN 1934. WITH ORIGINAL MOSSBERG BRASS SCOPE AND MOSSBERG N96 SCOPE MOUNT PATENTS APPLIED FOR, GUN IS IN GOOD CONDITION WORKS EXCELLENT WITH SOME BLUING WEAR.
    Seller: SCOTT FFL Dealer: No

LIKTOSHOOT
    (12/17/01 10:35:04 pm)
    Ok, here`s what I would look for. This will be hard on an auction piece though. "good condition" scares the heck out of me on these types of rifles. Second...and this can only be checked with it in your hands.....these old rifles shot shorts, these are brutal on the chamber area.....and years ago, many shorts were fired in these to save money. the scope and mount are correct for the time....but, that is a fit all scope and mount (mossberg)....so remember, even though it is a brand name [which is good] it is not correct for that model] no major deal. The sights concern me, as all 46`s had the rear flip away peep and hooded front sight. Now if you want this rifle.....it still is a good buy, no question. But I also think if you hang in there, you will find one in excellent condition and correct. So now it comes up to you, I might buy it just for the scope and mount....to add to another model??? So this is a doable deal, if your into Mossbergs.....I am too. These float through quite often in different models. So now you have to decide, and this could also lead to another rifle to make two correct ones. It is a plan "I" would persue, but thats me and I would want a return (3 Days) just to check the chamber only, given the "Good" description and only based on that.....the rest can be overcome. Hope this ramble helps. LTS

***EDIT*** sorry again...the "A" could have or not had the receiver peep, so deduct $50.00 more without it, but remember the scope and mount are not included in this price.
    I`m really not here..........Yea! ......sure!

Edited by: LIKTOSHOOT at: 12/17/01 10:40:35 pm

warpig883
    (12/17/01 10:54:07 pm)
    Ok LTS I get what your saying except the chamber thing. In my limited experiance the problem you are talking about is when using a gun for a lot of .22 shorts and then when you go to .22 lr there is a problem with feeding and or jamming beacuase of a ridge biult up in the chamber where the .22 short einded and the .22 long hits it because it is longer. nothing a good cleaning won't fix.

Is this what you mean?

LIKTOSHOOT
    (12/18/01 8:08:43 am)
    Pig, if a quanity of shorts are fired, because of the shortness of this round compared to a long rifle....the bullet actually slams into the chamber as it hits the bore`s rifling. Continued (bunchs) of shorts fired in these rifles, eat away good metal in the end of the chamber, where a long rifle would seat. This continued slaming against this area, along with powder flash, eats away metal over time (Throat erosion). It`s just something to look for, as it can ruin accuracy.
    Now you see me.................Now you don`t