Old Muzzle Loader

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by upole_60, Jan 4, 2012.

1. upole_60

upole_60 New Member

I would like more information on what this gun is worth so that I can insure it.
    \

Attached Files:

2. upole_60

upole_60 New Member

I have found a little more information that may help.

The gun came from Brooke County WV around the middle of the 1800s.

The oners last name was Putney.

There is a good deal of scrol work on the side lock and a few inlays on te gun.
  3. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    We need any and all markings on it and I am not the best person with a camera BUT much better pictures and plenty of them. Diminsions help as well such as barrel lenght, bore/caliber, full length, full or 1/2 stock, as well as ANYTHING else that would help in a decription of the firearm.
  4. upole_60

upole_60 New Member

I do not have the gun at the house. I will get the sizes as soon as possible and work on better pictures as well. It is a full stock kentucky long gun in what appears to be 36 cal. with very heavy rifeling. The engraving on the side locks is all very simple. I have gone over it and never have found a proof mark or makers mark.

Attached Files:

5. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

It appears to be earlier than mid 1800s. Looks like it was converted from flintlock to percussion. Interesting bit of brass I can just make out on the forestock--need to see the whole thing. Probably Pennsylvania or northern origin--southern rifles were much plainer, usually without patchboxes and the shape of the brass side plate is common on Pennsylvania long rifles. Ornamentation on these guns is often characteristic of a particular maker--they had favorite designs. The toe of the buttplate looks a bit odd--a closeup would be nice. Have you checked under the barrel for markings?