old percussion pistol

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Canfield, May 6, 2012.

1. Canfield

Canfield New Member

A friend discovered this percussion pistol in her family's belongings. It appears to be .44 caliber. Overall length 7 inches, with a 3 inch barrel. One piece grip, probably walnut. There is a proof mark under the barrel (the pic isn't great, I know) and also someone has etched the Roman Numeral XIII there. Any help in identifying this pistol would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you, Jim, for your take on this and for guiding me here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2012
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Edited your post so the pic's showed easier ..

its a late model box lock with a birmingham proof ( second pic the stamp is the proof mark ) with a fixed barrel so a bit lower end than the screw off barrel models

value in the USA i have no idea ..
  3. Canfield

Canfield New Member

Thanks. They are not really concerned about the value as it will stay in the family. They're more interested in the history. So it's of British origin? My friend thought her ancestors immigrated from Wales so that would make sense. Any estimate as to approximate date of manufacture?
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

1845- 1885 after that the rim fire cartridge became popular

without a makers mark or better info this is a guess

percussion caps where becoming common in the UK about 1839-40 so not before then as this is not a conversion from flintlock