Old pistol revolver, can anyone identify?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by oldGun, Dec 27, 2009.

1. oldGun

oldGun New Member

Hello everyone!

First post here. I have an old pistol with no markings that I received as a gift. Can anyone help me identify or have any knowledge/information on this gun? Anything at all would be much appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Yes, it is a Bacon Arms Co. revolver, made in the mid-1860's. Only about 1000 were made, making it one of the many guns that are comparatively rare, but not very valuable, one in that condition probably bringing less than $100. It is .32 caliber rimfire; ammunition is sometimes available but I strongly recommend that gun not be fired.

There was originally an ejector rod underneath the barrel, but it seems to be missing. It was removed from its hole and used to poke out the empties.

The barrel was originally marked "Bacon Arms Co. Norwich Conn (or CT). Some are marked Cast Steel as well.

This from Flayderman's, number 8A-19.

Jim
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  3. oldGun

oldGun New Member

Hi Jim,

Awesome, thanks for the information. Very interesting.

You mentioned the barrel was originally marked.. does this mean if I can't visibility see anything that it has simply been worn off?

Yes I don't have the ejector rod it looks like.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I think it is a safe bet that the markings were worn off, or removed in "cleaning" over some 150 years.

Jim