Old Powder & Primers

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

tuckerd1
    (6/10/01 8:06:03 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Old Powder & Primers
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have some powder, 6# Unique, 2# Bullseye that is about 10 years old. It has been stored in a cabinet, with silica absorbant bags, in my shop. I also have 3000 primers that have been there for the same amount of time.

Yeah, I know, what has this guy been doing for 10 yrs? Long journey with a lot of side roads.

Should I use this powder and primers? What, if any, may be some of the dangers associated with using these?

What kind of problems may I experience?

Bompa
    (6/10/01 3:22:12 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Old Powder & Primers
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You should send it to me and I will see that it is properly disposed of..
    Actually just follow normal safe loading practices and all will be well..

Kdubya
    (6/10/01 5:22:24 pm)
    Tuckerd -

I'm not sure what the climatic controls are in your shop regarding humidity and heat/cold. The primers could be the most affected. Try them and see if they still go "bang". If they do, they're ok. People have used 30-40 year old powder that was stored properly with good results. I've got a can of Unique in the pantry that is over 30 years old and still shoots good when I load it. When the powder gets a sour smell and looks rusty red is when it is deterioating and no longer safe to use. If it still smells sweet and looks blackish, you're OK.

The worst enemy to reloading components is heat and dampness. Cool, dry storage is recommended.
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!

tuckerd1
    (6/11/01 8:28:52 am)
    Thanks Bompa & KW. I haven't opened these containers yet to smell or look at. They have been sealed since I bought them. Moisture is not a problem in my shop, But heat, temp up to 90 could be. I'll check out it out this afternoon.

tuckerd1
    (6/11/01 8:10:54 pm)
    Kw, Powder smells good and is blackish grey. Popped a few primers.

Bompa, Sorry fella, I'll have to dispose of it myself. Better luck next time.

Thanks guys.

Kdubya
    (6/11/01 8:40:48 pm)
    Aw, Shucks - !

Just knew we wuz gonna git some freebies!
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!

AGunguy
    (7/14/01 11:49:40 am)
    Damn, there's more con artist than me on this board.

Don't fret about the powder going bad at 10 years. Heck, I've got stuff that was loaded 20 years ago and still just as good as the day I bought it. I must have over a dozen kind in my powder box. Gettin low on rifle powder though. But only load the 30-30 with Win. 748.

As long as the powder is kept in a cool dry place, it has good shelf life. When it goes bad you can sometimes tell by the color change or smell, or when you load up and it goes fizzzz!

Gunguy

Edited by: AGunguy at: 7/14/01 12:51:23 pm