Old Primers

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by S&W-4me, Jun 19, 2009.

1. S&W-4me

S&W-4me New Member

I sent Federal the lot numbers of some primers that I just purchased as being new. They were made in 2000.:mad: The boxes are clean and like new. Can anyone on the forum tell me if it's OK to use them. Federal said it should be OK to use, but recommended that I load a few and try them. If someone has experience using old components, your help will be appreciated. regards
    Ed
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Use em! They will go bang, or they won't! But they won't hurt your gun, or you. Heck, I have some older than that!
  3. S&W-4me

S&W-4me New Member

Thanks carver
    I was concerned about hang fires. With the shortage, I guess I have to give them a try. I don't think I'll use them in my Min1-14. If I get a squib round and I don't notice, the next round in could raise hell. The worst part is I called all over Connecticut, and went to all the sites on the Internet, no one had any small rifle primers. When I called the dealer, he said, "oh yeah I just got some in" I traveled 45 mile to get them. The next day I notice the adds on the net showed a blue box, mine are in a red box. That's when I sent Federal the lot numbers, and they told me they were made in 2000. And I bought 2 thousand!!! If you don't think I'll have a problem I give them a try. thank for your input
    regards
    Ed
    P.S
    Federal responded very fast, same day. That's what I call a good company
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  4. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

Heck if I threw out all my old reloading stuff, I'd be in as much of a shortage as the rest of the country.
  5. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

As long as a chemicle did not come into contact with them they should be good. You know like wd40. I have had old ones, worked fine.
  6. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Made in 2000 = "old primers"? Nope, not even close. They should work just fine. (As long as they've been stored in a decent manor.)

My "old primers" are ones made in the '50s and '60s (I have thousands of these) I occasionally try them and they still go boom.
  7. 220combat

220combat New Member

I get old primers all the time. Some are 40-50 years old, and everyone has worked fine. If they were stored properly, you won't have any problems.
  8. stratmeister

stratmeister New Member

Due to the shortage of them in the stores I went digging through some old stuff and found some from the early 80's. Loaded 'em up and they went boom just fine. They must last forever...
  9. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

I have about 10 tins of #11 muzzle loader caps that came from Bannerman's NY
    at least 80 years ago and they still light up.
  10. S&W-4me

S&W-4me New Member

Thanks everyone. That's what I was hoping to hear. I wanted the reassurance from folks with more experience than me. I was hoping when I reloaded I could experiment with different powders, primers and bullets. But with this shortage, we have to use what we can get. I'll load some up and get out and shoot. Thanks for the help.
    regards
    Ed
  11. Bboomer

Bboomer New Member

From your description it sounds like they will be just fine. Its all about how they have been stored. Ideally in a cool dry location with minimal humidity fluctuation.

Load em up
  12. medalguy

medalguy Member

I reecntly pulled out of storage some old Remington primers I purchased in about 1908 and they loaded and shot just fine. Remember some of us are still shooting milsurp ammo loaded in the 1940's or even earlier. Old doesn't mean not good at all.
  13. gary0529

gary0529 Member

S&W-4me,

Like all of the other relies, I too , say shoot 'em.
    I have an ongoing test of ammo I loaded as a kid in the late 50's (30-06 with the pound 'em in Lee set up).
    By definition, I used 1957 era primers . Around the first of every year I head out back of the house and fire off 3 to 5 -EVERY ONE/EVERY TIME goes BANG.
    By my last count I am down to 67 rounds of the old stuff so that means I either have to live another 20 years or hurry the process up. LOL.

Gary
  14. S&W-4me

S&W-4me New Member

Thanks guys, I haven't reloaded in over 40 years, and I wanted to be sure it was OK. I'll be reloading today.
    regards
  15. stratmeister

stratmeister New Member

Actually I'm not so sure storage is all that important either. I'm sure there are ideal conditions, but mine were in my garage with original unsealed packaging, in an old cigar box, unprotected from the high heat and humidity we have here in south Florida. So they are very forgiving...

I doubt powder is as forgiving though.