1. chuckwagonsam

chuckwagonsam New Member

Howdy All,
    New here. Just bought a T/C Endeavor. Have done some shooting and it appears that it will be very accurate as soon as I find the right load and bullet. My 1st 3 shots touched with 100 gr. ffg Shockey's Gold & 250 gr Hornady SST's at 25 yds. Spread out a bit at 100, 3 in. group. I'm sure this is an old question but how much differance is there between ffg and fffg other than ease of use in flasks and such? I'm have also shot the Shockwaves in 300 gr. as I prepare for a Moose hunt in Vermont this year. Any suggestions on loads and powder?
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

You didn't mention which caliber you are using. I'm going to answer with my experience and experimenting with .36 and .50.

The pressure curve is a bit different and, therefore, the burn rate vs. barrel length is different. It is said you can get into questionable pressures using FFFg grind in a long gun or big bore, but this is arguable.

You might find your patches blow more with the finer grind and that fouling will change. Some guns will foul more with finer grinds, others will foul less.

Point of impact will change, as the bullet will spend a different length of time in the barrel with different grinds. Accuracy will change for the same reason. My CVA and Thompson Center Hawkens like different powders as their respective favorites. My Granddaughter's Cabela Hawken won't shoot worth a darn with fine grind, but is deadly with FFg.

Recoil will be a little sharper with the finer grind, but most won't be able to tell.

Start with smaller loads and work up when you change grinds.

That is probably worth about $0.02. PayPal accepted. :D

Pops
  3. chuckwagonsam

chuckwagonsam New Member

Thanks Pops,
    It's a .50 cal. Guess it's just gonna take some good ol' experimentin' to find the right combo. Shoot and shoot some more. I know that three sticks of 50 gr. is too strong, pushes them around a bit. So I'll go back to loose powder and choose betweeen 2f and 3f.