old Remington 30-30

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by JoeSmith1, Nov 24, 2011.

1. JoeSmith1

JoeSmith1 New Member

Hi all, I have just received an old gun. It has been a family heirloom for i think 3 generations. It was the traditional first hunting rifle of every guy in our family for a couple generations. I have never shot it. I don't even know what it's officially called. It's a semi-automatic. It looks exactly like this, except it has a 5 round integrated magazine, not 20 or 25 or whatever is pictured here:
    [​IMG]

The barrel has the full Remington company name, and then says patents from 1900 and 1902. I can't find any other markings on it except the breech has 30-30 stamped on it.

I am curious about the shells. Even though it says 30-30 on the breech, it appears that 30 caliber shells are the correct round. I think the 30-30 round has a much bigger lip around the base of the shell at the primer. But I didn't want to fire it until I knew that for sure, and knew the backstory of why it would take 30 caliber when it says 30-30.

Second, what is this rifle called officially?

Third, "The patent on the barrel says 1900, but does anybody know when they stopped making them and does anybody know if there are small differences that would clue a person in to when this one was made?

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. BillM

BillM Active Member

Yours is probably a Model 8, or possibly a Model 81. Are you SURE it says
    30-30 on the barrel? It should say 30 Rem or 30 Remington, NOT 30-30!

Link to site on 8's and 81's: http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/
  3. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

The very early Remington Model 8 chambered for the .30 Rem cartridge was actually marked "30/30R or "30/30 Rem." That and the "25/35R" or "25/35 Rem" were the original designators for the .30 Rem and .25 Rem cartridges. Remington/UMC even sold cartridges under that name. This did not last very long due to obvious confusion with the already established Winchester loadings for the Model 1894.

Please post the exact markings. Also take good clear pictures of your rifle and attach them to the post.

The Model 8 was made from 1906-1936. Since Remington did not use barrel markings for date of manufacture until 1921, your rifle will not have them. I would imagine your rifle is 1906/1907 and should have a very low serial number.
  4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Welcome to TFF!
    I agree with StoneChimney. It sounds like you've got an early Model 8 chambered for .30Remington which are marked "30-30 Rem" as he posted.
    Some good pictures of the markings will help verify what you've got.

I doubt that it is the later Model 81 chambered for .300Savage, since those are clearly marked .300 Savage or .30 Rem.

Neither the 8 or the 81 were made in .30-30 Winchester so it won't be chambered for that rimmed cartridge.
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  5. JoeSmith1

JoeSmith1 New Member

I took some pictures.
    one
    The finish is about what you would expect from a 100 year old gun that has seen regular use. There are a couple scratches in the stock, and some small dents in the barrel.
    two
    three
    Here the breech clearly shows '30-30 R' stamped into it
    four
    The serial number is as follows:
    .... F
    . 23050
    .... K
    .... K

I'm pretty sure the last 0 in the serial number is not part of the counting system. It looks like a different stamp than the other numbers. Plus, if the last 0 were omitted, then that would make it a 1907 model and then that would explain why is says 30-30R on the breech

the exact wording on the top of the barrel (not pictured), just in front of the rear sight is:
    MANUFACTURED BY THE REMINGTON ARMS CO.ILION.N.Y.U.S.A
    BROWNING'S PATENTS OCT 9.1900 OCT. 16.1900 JULY 3.1902

The bottom half of the shoulder strap appears as though it was a quality home-made project using the original metal hardware. The leather on the bottom appears to be poorer quality, but in newer condition. The top portion may or may not have come with the rifle.

The butt plate is obviously from a different gun. it does not seat properly at all.
    does anyone know if I have to hand load some rounds if I want to fire this gun? also, what would be the best chance of getting an original butt plate?
  6. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

That is most definitely a a Model 8 in .30 Remington. I would bet that when the rifle is taken down that you'll find an "EM" after the "30-30 R" marking...when assembled, it's partially covered by the action.
    It is a 5 digit serial number (25xxx) and was made in 1910. The 8 was made from 1906 until 1939 (when it was replaced by the Model 81) so yes even a 1910 would be considered early enough for the "30-30 Rem" marking.

You can sometimes find loaded ammo for .30Rem from some of the specialty manufacturers, but many times it is out of stock. The same applies for brass for reloading.
    Check this recent thread down in the Ammo & Reloading forum. It has a few places to check around for ammo and empty brass for the .30Remington. http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=97123

As far what it's worth. I'm not real sure on a current dollar value (I don't have a Blue Book handy).
    Your rifle looks like it's in about the same condition as our Model 81...not very much finish left on it but still looks to be a good functioning shooter.
  7. dustydog

dustydog New Member

Ah,but who cares what the grand old girl is worth if she still works!Love the old "pogo" action 8!
  8. popgun

popgun New Member

one sold at our shop for $350 last month. Shame it was Rem .30 and not Rem .35 or I would have bought it. Rem .30 is just to hard to find.
  9. Ken W

Ken W Member

I was completely unacquainted with these rifles until this thread. Looked up a lot of info on it and now I must have one. :D
  10. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

I've read that this model, with the extended magazine (Hi-cap) was a favorite of Prison tower guards and low budget law enforcement depts back in the '20s and '30s. Any truth to that rumor?
  11. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

The Model 81 more than the Model 8. There was a version with an extended magazine for that purpose. Bonnie and Clyde sure didn't appreciate it!