Old Remington 550-1

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by JohnnyRobotic, Feb 12, 2004.

1. JohnnyRobotic

JohnnyRobotic New Member

Ok i know it's probably worth nothing specially the condition it's in.
    My father is refinishing the stock then the barrell, what i wanted to know is what are these marks? I highlited them cuz all i had laying around was this terrible 2mp camera, i am interested because my dad remembered this from when he was a kid and has been his 22 rifle his whole life pretty much ( i remember him blowing out candles with it, it was a and still is an accurate rifle), was just curious as to date of production, i assume it's 41 since that's when they first made the model 550 but then on Rem. site i saw that they change the 550-1 in 46 and was wondering if it got the "-1_ when they changed it. Any info on the "W D 41" would be greatly appreciated

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2004
  2. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

The barrel will tell you, though not the exact date of manufacture.
    Barrels are stamped "550" "550-1 or A" The "P" model has factory peeps (very cool) but hard to come by with correct sights, if remaining. and the ever elusive "2G" model, Gallery Special in .22 short only. The "A" and "1" are the same. Very slick rifles and I love them, the ability to shoot shorts, longs and long rifles combined in the magazine tube is a feature you see no longer, cept for the Remington Speedmaster. Prices vary, but a minty one will bring $200.00 all day long and I just happen to have one in 96% condition, straight shooter from H........well you know.

LTS

Attached Files:

3. JohnnyRobotic

JohnnyRobotic New Member

For Sale?

Basically the first "real" gun i ever shot and would be cool to own one myself
  4. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

The barrel markings indicate manufacture in August 1957.

The major difference in the 550A and the 550-1 is that the -1 uses one extractor instead of two. This change was made in 1946. There are also slight differences in the carrier assembly and the recoiling chamber.

Parts? Glad you asked. I have a complete inventory for this model.
  5. JohnnyRobotic

JohnnyRobotic New Member

you have a list with prices, he did say last time he shot it something came outta the ejection port like a thin sliver of metal but it still shoots fine so no idea what it was.

Also how did you know it was made in '57 was method did they use for marking them?
  6. LIKTOSHOOT

Ok Doc, yer da man, mine has 18 and * but a circle in the middle of that....kinda like a flower.....550 stamped on the top of the barrel and dual extracters.

LTS
  7. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Johnny,

The markings you highlighted are part of a code Remington uses to date manufacture on barrels. I do not keep an inventory list on computer as I buy and sell parts every day. You might search under username 'countrygunsmith' over on eBay - I keep about 400 parts auctions running at any given time over there.

LTS,

There should be some more markings. You almost certainly have one of the early rifles, 1941-1946, so the barrel markings should be K, L, MM, NN, PP or RR with a single letter preceding it. Look carefully on the left side of the barrel just ahead of the receiver, might be under the wood line.
  8. LIKTOSHOOT

ok, here ya go Doc.

Attached Files:

9. Nthusist

Nthusist New Member

10. Nthusist

Nthusist New Member

I also have an old 550 that used to belong to my great uncle. The barrel markings on the top (next to the receiver) is a *12. The opposite side has WL followed by a symbol that looks like the Greek letter Pi. I'm pretty sure it's an old one. The gun is in pretty good shape. I'll take it to a gunsmith for a good going over-hasn't been fired in years. Found a Model 550-1 service manual on Ebay for 3 bucks - don't know if I can use it on the 550 or not - any Ideas?

Nthusist
  11. OKTrap

OKTrap New Member

:D
    The one I got from a friend today ... is in about 96% or better I believe. Gave him $50 for it. The question I have is about its date code ... CF 45 ... I know it's pre 68 because there's no serial number ... and I believe it's post 46 due to the -1 and single extractor ... but what exactly is the date?

Thank you:
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  12. OKTrap

OKTrap New Member

Can anyone assist with this?

Thank you.
  13. OKTrap

OKTrap New Member

Anyone ...?
  14. msheff

msheff New Member

April 1959