OLD Revolver Smith and Wesson

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Luis Fernando, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando New Member

Help with this revolver .

Smith & Wesson....... engraved ,gold plated .

Cal 38 SW .

38 Hand ejector Model of 1905....4th change ???????

Here the pics

(If you need more pics,please ask )

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Serial number

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Number stamp on the barrel 555

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Thanks

Luis Fernando
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

its always better with pictures
  3. valbehaved

valbehaved Member

What is the round emblem on the right side of the frame?
    Can you post a close-up pic?
    Where does it say 'Smith & Wesson" on the revolver?
  4. 22shot

22shot New Member

luis

From the pics; it lloks like you have a S&W M14 K-38 Target Masterpiece (sights; wide trigger and hammer spur); introduced in 1947. 6 or 8 3/8 inch barrel.
    There are two versions; double action and single action; the single action being worth about 25% more.
    The "K" series I believe are the more sought after of the "modern" S&W's.

That being said; your gun could easily be on the cover of the Shooters Bible!

As to worth; I'm more of a rifle guy; but this is a top example of the S&W engravers art. And it's gold plated with "mother of pearl" grips!

I have no idea of it's value; but a $3,500 "reserve" at auction would not be out of line.

If you include the serial# along with any initials found; I'm sure that some "S&W" members on this site can provide you with more detailed info.

You have a gem.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

There are several things odd about that gun. First, that is almost certainly NOT factory engraving, though it is of good quality. The second is that the gun is much later than the serial number indicates, and the serial number font and size are wrong, which means that the serial number is a fake, possibly applied in place of the original which was removed in the engraving. The sights also are not factory.

It may have been an engraver's project gun, or commissioned by someone who wanted something unique. I hesitate to put a value on it, mostly because of the serial number question. I don't know about Canadian law, but in the US, messing with the serial number on a gun is a serious offense.

Jim
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

He said it was in 38 S&W, couldn't a Model 14, but I'm away from my books so could be wrong, very beautiful
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Valbehaved has caught the point of what I said about factory engraving. S&W factory engravers never removed or engraved over factory markings. They either worked them into the design or engraved around them. Also, S&W factory engravers always left an unengraved "ring" around the cylinder so the cylinder stop did not smear any of the engraving.

So maybe it is not an S&W at all, but a Taurus or a Spanish copy. I don't think so, but only more pictures or a personal examination would tell for sure. Of course if it is not an S&W, then my previous note about the serial number and the sights would not apply.

Jim
  8. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando New Member

Jim K

THIS GUN IS IN MEXICO AT THE MOMENT.

And it does not belong to me.

Luis Fernando
  9. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando New Member

Valbehaved

Here is the pic

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Luis Fernando
  10. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando New Member

More pics

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Luis Fernando
  11. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando New Member

Example of engraving by Smith and Wesson

38/44 Outdoorsman in 38 Spl (High Speed)

Manufactured in 1939 or 1940 (SN58XXX), it has a 6 1/2" barrel, full, beautiful engraving, and is in Excellent Condition.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Luis Fernando
  12. 22shot

22shot New Member

luis

Digging a little deeper..

It is not a Llama .38 Deluxe Martial (no vent rib or ejector shroud) BUT it does have what Llama calls "Gold Damascend Finish";I have a color photo; your engraving is very similar; if not the same.

As for the sights, trigger and hammer; S&W DID offer "target" options (Shooters Bible;
    #16: p.254.)

Taurus made a Model 86 Target Master; very similar except for the shape of the Trigger guard.

Great pics; I wish I had a reference on that bold logo on the rt. side of the gun!
    That would do a lot.

I'm working on it!
  13. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando New Member

More pics..

The owner of this gun said ,that it was belonging to his grandfather.

He told me now, that the front and rear sights,hammer,trigger and latch

have been changed.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Luis Fernando
  14. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

That is not a damascened finish. It's gold plate. The engraving and plating are aftermarket. The engraving is fairly crudely executed, though the gun is pretty.
  15. 22shot

22shot New Member

luis

The more pictures you post; the better the chances of the gun being identified.

There is always some static; this being the www; but eventually it will be tuned in!

The pattern on the trigger; the shape of the front sight; and unless the spur on the hammer is 1/2 inch wide; all indicate that these items are NOT "factory target" S&W. Can't get a good look at the rear sight; but it appears that it is "fixed" and not ajustable for windage; so that's another strike.

Now that I've had a closer look at the realationship of the grips to the frame; it is not a "K" frame S&W; I'd be suprised if it is; in fact; a S&W (I just can't find a corralation between all the details on this gun; as thay emerge; and the S&W references I have).

I did turn up a S&W 125th. Anniversary Commemorative; Deluxe Edition (only 50 were made; quite expensive) with that same size monster logo; BUT .45 Colt; ejector shroud; different grips.

So; at ths point; I don't believe it is a genuine S&W.

And; as I have posted; I cannot I.D. that logo; yet.

Could you possibly take another pic of that logo without the glare and a little more shaddow definition to bring out the details?
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010