Old Rifle Help - Sharps & Burnside

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by phaethon, Jul 31, 2011.

1. phaethon

phaethon New Member

Old Rifle Help - Sharps & Burnside UPDATED Photos

I have recently been given the below and know absolutely nothing about them ... Been searching the web but have come up with almost no information. Since i collect coins not guns i thought i would try a forum board in hope that some of you would be able to shed some light on this. I thank you in advance for any assistance and insight that you may be able to give as to their history and possible value

The Sharps has 2 dates on it .. 1848 and 1852 ( So this confuses me to no end ) also has a octagonal barrel

The Burnside says Patent 1856

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF Phaethon; some must REALLY REALLY love ya; they both appear in good condition and we'll get you some detailed info here shortly.
  3. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

The Sharps is a model 1874, the patent dates are for the action and lock mechanics. The double set triggers were an option that increases the value.
    The caliber should be stamped on the left side of the barrel near the receiver. It may be as simple as .45, or it can be .45 2 1/10" for the length of the brass case.
    Can you get some closer better lit pics of the front and rear sights?
    Richard Labowski, at (215) 748 1376, has all the surviving Sharps factory records. If you call him and give the serial number, he can tell you if he has the records on your rifle. If he does, invest the money to get a copy, it increases the value of the gun to collectors.
  4. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Phaeton, please list the complete patent dates and other markings and where found, as there were several models of both guns with significant value differences. Also please use the MACRO camera mode for the closeups. Neither appear to be military models, but if there are markings stamped in the wooden butt stocks, photograph them also.

Has the Sharps stock been repaired? Looks like wood screws at top of 3rd photo.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The Burnside, from the serial number, should be the so-called "Fifth Model". The Burnside was among the more common of the Federal Civil War cavalry carbines, some 43,000 of that model being bought by the Union army. It used a cartridge that loaded into the front of the breechblock. The cartridge resembled nothing less than an ice-cream cone, being conical and having the bullet at the front. It did not contain the priming, that being provided by a percussion cap placed on the nipple.

Value can range from $1000 or so up to $4000 or more depending solely on condition. As with all CW items, documented association with a particular unit or individual can increase value significantly. There was no civilian or commercial production.

Jim
  6. phaethon

phaethon New Member

Here is what i can find

Left side of Sharps says

C Sharps Pat.
    Sept 12th 1848

RIght Side Says

Sharps Pat.
    Oct 5Th 1852

Center Top over breach says

C, 44757

Picture Below

Burnside information

Only other information aside from the serial # 25934 is on the barrel between the breach and the sight

Says A P

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. phaethon

phaethon New Member

I did call him and had a very good conversation ... he although did not have the records but was able to give me a price range of between 3,500 to 7,000 dependent on the condition.

I still though have been unable to find out anything on the BUrnside firearm... if anyone here can shed any light that would be great
  8. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Jim K gave you a value range, but if you want more details the current Flayderman's Guide has a page and a third outlining the variations and values (pp 617-618).