Old S&W 38 Regulation Police Revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Cary Lang, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Cary Lang

Cary Lang Member

Today I saw a S&W 38 CTG Regulation Police revolver in a local gun shop and wondered if anyone could tell me a little about it. It is a five shot revolver with a 4" barrel. It has a swing out cylinder and hand ejector rod. It appears to be an "I" frame, square butt with checkered walnut grips. There are two sets of numbers on the gun...What appears to be the serial number is on the front of the frame between the grips, it is #10524 with no letters before or after it. There is another number where the ejector rod cradles in the frame when it is closed and that # is 1180. I am sorry that I am unable to post pictures at this point but was wondeing if anyone knew when it might have been manufactured. Mechanically the gun is very tight and locks up well. The bore is clean and has good rifleing. The entire gun looks like most of the blue had faded to a grayish color...does someone know when this gun may have been made and what if any an approximate value may be for this gun?
    It has a series of patent dates on top of the barrell...year o1 I believe is the first year 09 the second and dec,14 being the last patent date listed. I hope I provided enough information to get some information on the gun.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

You know pretty much all there is to know about that gun. As you note, it is chambered for the .38 S&W cartridge, not the .38 Special. The "I" frame is a shorter and slightly smaller version of the current J frame. The number on the front of the grip is the serial number; the number under the crane is an assembly number. They are sometimes listed as square butt, but in fact they were all round butt frames, with the wood grips made to give the look of a square butt. The standard grip would have covered the serial number on the bottom of the butt, which is why the number was moved to the front strap. They are unique in having a "step" in the rear grip strap, apparently to better support the grip if the gun is used as a club.

The pre-war .38 Regulation Police was serial numbered in its own range 1 - 54474, 1917 - 1940. That gives an approximate production of 2500 per year, so your number 10524 would date to about 1919-1920.

Value as described would probably run about $250-300. They are very nice guns for carry; reasonably powerful, yet light and, with a 4" barrel, having a good sight radius.

Jim
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  4. Cary Lang

Cary Lang Member

Thanks Jim for your help.