old savage 22LR I.D.

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by pea shooter, Jan 26, 2011.

1. pea shooter

pea shooter New Member

I have an old savage bolt action 22LR. It is simalier to a 19 nra.It is stamped 22Lr on top of receiver and has a serial number on rear of the receiver around where the bolt goes in. It has a 5 round mag that says savage sporter on one side and 22 long rifle savage arms corp pat-april 28,1908 on the other side.I would get another mag but I am not sure what gun I have. Any help would be appriciated.
  2. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

3. flintlock

flintlock Active Member

It sounds like a Model 23A. Very accurate old rifles.
  4. steve99f

steve99f New Member

Agree with flintlock, probably a Model 23A. It could be a Model 1922, but not many of them around. That magazine should work with either the 19, 1922 or the 23A I think. It has a knurled knob on the bottom and marked as you describe.
  5. pea shooter

pea shooter New Member

After looking at the gun closer IT has a double firing pin serial number looks like 152??. It has a flip up peep sight on the stock and the stock ends about 1.5" past the barrel band.It has a D shaped ejection port. It looks very much like a model 1922 picture I saw on another sight except for the shorter stock The gun is very accurate I will try to get a picture the barrel appears to never have been blued
  6. steve99f

steve99f New Member

Sounds like it might be the 1922. Picture would be good.
  7. pea shooter

pea shooter New Member

Here are some pictures

Attached Files:

• gun.jpg
      gun.jpg
      File size:
      89.6 KB
      Views:
    • clip.jpg
      clip.jpg
      File size:
      115 KB
      Views:
    • peep.jpg
      peep.jpg
      File size:
      79.6 KB
      Views:
    • bolt.jpg
      bolt.jpg
      File size:
      112.9 KB
      Views:
  8. pea shooter

pea shooter New Member

Here are some more pictures

Attached Files:

9. pea shooter

pea shooter New Member

Sorry the pictures are so big this was my first try at pictures
  10. K75RT

K75RT New Member

You have a Savage NRA Target Rifle, this is very similar to the Savage Sporter, the 23A and the 23AA; in that the barrel and receiver are one piece and they use the same magazine. Nice find!
  11. steve99f

steve99f New Member

I think that's an early Model 19 NRA. The model 1922 had a sporter stock like the M-23 and used a arear sight that was used on the Savage 1904 BA.
  12. dksac2

dksac2 New Member

Very nice rifle. I just got an earlier version with the stock similar to an M1A stock, 28" heavy barrel with the original wallensek scope on it. Will be at least another week before it gets here. Can't wait, it looked beautiful in the pictures.

I love the old Savages, beautiful rifles.

John K
  13. emsvision

emsvision New Member

I too have an old savage that I believe is a model 1922. I mainly want to
    1) confirm that it is a model 1922
    2) find out where I can get a magazine for this. I have 1 but want some extras.

Any help on this would be great!
  14. emsvision

emsvision New Member

I have confirmed that mine is a 1922. Now just need to know a good place to get some clips
  15. 3M1P2D1

3M1P2D1 New Member

I believe I have the same rifle as you. I have been trying to identify it. Do you know the model number and a date on the rifle.

Thanks,

Leroy
  16. Sav22

Sav22 New Member

Added: I just looked at this thread again and just realized how old it is! I would not have responded if I had realized that immediately. I did not pay attention to the dates of the first posts. I will leave my response, but I doubt the person it is addressed to will check back to see it! To those who have resurrected this old thread - I think it is better to start a new one than add to a really old one.

Pea Shooter, Your gun is an early 1919 NRA with the small ejection port - it also will have the early type bolt with a double firing pin. This bolt was used on guns with serial numbers under 25,000 (1922 SPORTERS will also have serial numbers under 25,000); yours should be much lower than that based on the early ejection port size. The stock on your gun also should be much longer, it looks to me like it has been cut ahead of the band, that is something that is sometime seen done to these.

The correct vintage magazine for this would be stamped 22 S, L, & LR even though the gun is stamped only 22 Long Rifle. Later 22 Long Rifle magazines marked "Sporter" or 'NRA Match Rifle or 23-A' should also work but I have found some variance in them that can occasionally cause feeding issues. The 1922 Sporter would also take these and I think the magazine marked just Sporter may have been available and sent originally with very late 1922's.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014