Old savage sporter

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by merwin10, Nov 15, 2010.

1. merwin10

merwin10 New Member

Hi All -

Since Savage Arms can no longer support there older products I am looking for information on an .22 caliber savage sporter! Now here is the problem this is an older firearm before savage started using model numbers. It's last patent date is November 20, 1917! All that is stamped on the barrel is savage sporter and .22 long rifle! The serial number is below 100,000, 887XX.

So here is the question the rifle is in good shape but requires a magazine as none came with it! I have no clue as to how many rounds it held or what it looked like! Maybe some other Savage .22 bolt action rifle magazine would fit it!

Can anybody help with this?

Thanks
    Mike -:mad:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    You have what appears to be a Savage Model Sporter 23AA .22 bolt action rifle.

Go to Numrich Gun Parts Corp. for a list of parts for this rifle. http://www.gunpartscorp.com/
  3. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

The magazine holds 5 rounds. It won't be easy finding one, but try ********* or some other aution sites. Last one I found set me back $50. Gun Parts may have a substitute of some sort. Nice rifles those Sporters, they shoot really well.
  4. merwin10

merwin10 New Member

Hi Mtnboomer-

So you think it is a 23AA sporter it has no markings as such I will take a look and see if I can fine a picture of the magazine and see if it makes sense that it might fit!

Thanks
    Mike -:rolleyes:
  5. steve99f

steve99f New Member

Merwin10,

I think you may have the Model 23A rather than the 23AA. I say this because the 23A uses a straight clip with a knurled knob attached to. The clip is marked on the side as being for the Sporter and Model 19 NRA. The opening in the bottom of your rifle matches my 23A, rounded at one end.

The clip for the 23AA is shaped like a banana clip, 5 rounder. A long rectanglular opening I think.

Mtn boomer may be right so you need to investigate some more.
  6. grcsat

grcsat Member

Hi , if its a model 23AA then you have a choice of two clips,5rd and 10rd. However I see no mention of the clips being enterchangable between the 23A and 23AA.

steve99f is right in sayn that the 23AA does have a rectangular opening for the clip. Sorry but I can't seem to find the specs. on the 23A right now.
    Also the 23AA is basicly the same as the model 19-33.

Oddly enough I don't have the specs. on the 23A model. For some reason it's just not were it should be.

Sorry I wish I could have been more helpful.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  7. grcsat

grcsat Member

Found a parts layout for you.
    The one you want should be the one on the right.

Attached Files:

8. steve99f

steve99f New Member

I think I found a picture for you if I can figure out how to post it. Let's see if that did it.

Attached Files:

9. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

Merwin10,

I new as soon as you posted that your rifle takes the same magazine as my old Savage .22.

I don't know where your from, but there is always a guy at the gun shows held here in Columbus, Ohio, that usually has close to half dozen or so of the 5 round 23A magazines on hand. He usually wants anywhere from $40 to $75 bucks depending on the condition. If I find his business card or think of his name I'll post it, but right know I can't find it.
  10. Rocketman1

I went to the gun shown here in Columbus this weekend, and got the contact info on the guy that has the five round magazine your looking for. He had at least two of them for $70 bucks a pop.

I'll send you a message with all the info.
  11. Gimpy0513

Gimpy0513 New Member

Can you also send me his info please. I have the same gun handed down from generation to generation and have been looking for a clip for a while now.
  12. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

Check on the rear edge of the reciever for a serial number, right above the bolt. I just picked up a magazine on ebay for $60., and there is at least one more still on there. Last week I got an entire bolt for the 23A of the same site. Picking up spare parts is always a good idea. These rifle are great shooters!
  13. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

14. Rocketman1

Your lucky I saw this old post.
    Sending you a PM with all the info.
  15. transfusion666

transfusion666 New Member

Can anyone tell me what's the story on this rifle? It has the features of both the 23A and the 23AA but it has iron peep sights. The mag is rounded in the front and pinched in the back. The mag also has the knob on the bottom to help reload faster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. steve99f

steve99f New Member

Looks like a 23A to me. May have been too close to some heat by the looks of the wood finish.
  17. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

It is a 23A. Likely made in the late 1920's without consulting any reference materials. The mag is worth almost as much as the rifle without it. Its factory open rear sight was removed and a Lyman #17 (likely) was installed.

http://www.triplek.com/Products/id/38/grp/412/prd/1125/

The above link takes you to an aftermarket mag for $36.00 plus shipping.
  18. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

guess u found your mag